SKOKIE, ILL., NOV. 21 -- A gunman who held authorities at bay for 9 1/2 hours on a normally busy expressway negotiated with police over his car telephone before releasing his dog and surrendering early today.

Melvin Deutsch, 49, waited for his dog to leave the car and run to a friend before taking a gun away from his head and surrendering to more than 100 officers from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and state and local police.

Deutsch, who had been wanted on a federal warrant, complained of chest pains and was taken to the Cook County Hospital, an FBI official said.

The standoff jammed the Edens Expressway north of Chicago for several miles Friday evening, but authorities blocked off the roadway and gradually cleared it of cars and trucks by directing drivers to turn around against the normal flow of traffic and exit at detour points.

By midnight the stretch of expressway surrounding Deutsch's car was clear of all traffic but police vehicles.

Deutsch had fled from the scene of an attempted arrest by FBI agents and led authorities on a chase onto the expressway, where he was trapped by a roadblock, said Trooper Grant Travis of the Illinois State Police.

Deutsch, who reportedly lived in Winnetka, was alone in his car except for the dog, FBI spokesman Bob Long said, adding that Deutsch had threatened no one except himself during the standoff.

Long said he wasn't authorized to release information about the federal warrant naming Deutsch. News radio station WBBM in Chicago, however, reported that the warrant was in connection with bank fraud.

Deutsch called television station WBBM at about 10:35 p.m. from his car phone after hearing reports about the incident over his car radio, a spokesman for the television station said.

After saying he was wanted by authorities in Canada and in the United States, Deutsch said he told police earlier that he would surrender if they would guarantee his dog would be released safely, the television station reported. One of the police negotiators talked to Deutsch on his cellular telephone.

The gunman's surrender apparently depended on how his dog was released from the car, said Sgt. Karl Starpins of the Lincolnwood police.

"It's weird, but if it wasn't weird, we wouldn't all be out here," Starpins said.