PORT-AU-PRINCE, HAITI, DEC. 1 -- Many residents of the garbage-strewn slum named Carrefour Feuilles slept under their beds the last few nights and hundreds fled to other neighborhoods to escape nightly rampages by gunmen sympathetic to the deposed Duvalier dictatorship.

The slum dwellers gained citywide renown last week when they were the first to organize neighborhood night-watch committees, which built stone barricades and wielded machetes to block shooting forays by Ton-Ton Macoute gunmen. The committees quickly proliferated across this city of 1 million.

Today, dwellers of Carrefour Feuilles said the night-watch patrols disbanded for good since it is too dangerous to face the Ton-Tons Macoutes' gunfire. But in street interviews, working-class Haitians rejected any attempt by the ruling National Government Council to organize new elections under an electoral council chosen by Gen. Henri Namphy, the head of state.

Like the majority in Port-au-Prince, people in Carrefour Feuilles live in hot, airless cement houses circled by stinking ditches. They turned out Sunday to vote and were disappointed when the election was canceled.

For the past two days the normally volatile, riot-prone poor have been unusually quiet, staying close to their homes, uncertain which way to lean. They stayed home from work for the second day in a row, and resentment simmered.

"I will never vote again. Without weapons, there is nothing we can do now," said a 31-year-old unemployed accountant who gave only his first name, Richard.

"We don't believe the {government council} wants to hold a free election for us," said another unemployed resident, Patrick Lebrun, 24.

"The Army wants to put the Duvalier forces back in power so they will never be judged for any crimes," charged a 19-year-old high school senior.

Yesterday, a civilian public bus wheeled onto the community's main avenue and armed men jumped out and began firing rifles into a street teeming with children and shoppers. At least one man was injured, and several residents were taken away, witnesses said.

The detentions apparently came in response to the killing last Thursday by a mob of an Army sergeant who was said to have brandished a gun at one of the last night-watch committees. An armed forces spokesman said today he had no knowledge of arrests.