JERUSALEM, DEC. 2 -- Army chief of staff Gen. Dan Shomron, in a highly unusual public statement, tonight announced disciplinary action against three officers and another soldier for their roles during last week's Palestinian commando raid that killed six Israeli soldiers at an Army camp in northern Israel.

The operations officer of the infantry brigade that was attacked, a captain who allegedly failed to put the camp on full alert after being informed of the infiltration attempt, has been dismissed from the Army and faces legal proceedings -- probably a court-martial, according to military officials.

The lower-ranking soldier, who fled his guardpost at the camp's front gate when the lone attacker threw a grenade at him, also will face a court-martial, Shomron said.

The brigade commander, a colonel with an excellent combat record who Shomron said was not directly responsible in the incident, will be transferred to another assignment although he has been brigade commander for less than a month.

Shomron said he also reprimanded a platoon commander at the camp who had failed to examine and approve its security plan.

Military leaders also are reported to be contemplating a retaliatory attack against Palestinian bases in Lebanon. There also has been talk of action against Syria, where the commandos involved in the raid reportedly were given training and other support. At least two other hang gliders failed to make it into Israel, sources have said.

In the attack near Kiryat Shemona last Wednesday night, a Palestinian commando flew a motorized hang glider into Israel from Lebanon, ambushed a military truck, killing the officer who was driving, then entered the Gibor Army camp, gunned down five more soldiers and wounded seven others before he was shot to death by one of the wounded.

It was the deadliest Palestinian attack inside Israel in nearly a decade. It has shaken the military here because it was carried out by a single commando, who outmaneuvered and outfought his Israeli opponents, and because of the apparent blunders by commanders and other soldiers at the camp.

The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine-General Command, a Syrian-supported splinter group of the Palestine Liberation Organization headed by Ahmed Jibril, has claimed responsibility for the raid.

"The message is that this should never happen again," said a senior military officer. "It is a severe action and an unusual action, but this was a very unusual case. Shomron is making an example for people inside the Army and for the public in general."

The disciplinary steps were announced at the conclusion of an investigation Shomron conducted into the attack. He appointed a major general to carry out a further review that could lead to additional actions against other soldiers. He also said the Army was taking a number of unspecified operational steps to prevent similar incidents.

The attack has set off political recriminations from right-wing legislators, including former defense minister Ariel Sharon and former chief of staff Rafael Eitan, who have accused the Army and Defense Minister Yitzhak Rabin of neglect in allowing the raid to occur. There also has been renewed criticism of Nahal, special Army units of soldiers who serve part-time while working in border farming settlements. The Gibor camp was manned by a Nahal unit.

Rabin has defended the government's defensive strategy, noting that no Israeli civilian has been killed in the north in terrorist attacks since the Cabinet voted in 1985 to pull most of Israel's troops out of Lebanon and establish a 10-mile-deep "security zone" to prevent infiltration. The hang glider flew over the zone on its way to Israel.

The public's nerves were jangled again yesterday when the Army announced that unknown assailants had attempted to cross an electronic, barbed-wire fence on the border with Egypt. When an Israeli patrol went to investigate, the attackers on the Egyptian side threw two grenades and slightly wounded one soldier.

{The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine-General Command said Wednesday that it also had carried out the raid along Egypt's border, The Associated Press reported from Cyprus. The group claimed that it killed two Israeli soldiers and wounded five in two separate encounters.}

Of the Kiryat Shemona raid, military officials said that, contrary to earlier reports, the Army camp was not on full alert despite nearly 30 minutes' warning that an infiltration might be taking place. The warning went to the operations commander, who apparently told only a few of the men present and did not sound a general alarm. Thus, most of the soldiers stayed in their tents and did not arm themselves or prepare for an attack.

The guard at the gate did not sound a general alarm after he heard automatic rifle fire at the Army truck. When the guard himself was attacked by the commando, he ran from his post and did not alert other soldiers.