PORT-AU-PRINCE, HAITI, DEC. 3 -- A general strike called by several opposition parties failed to take hold today as a struggle arose between the military-dominated government and civilian political forces over the creation of a new electoral board.

Silvio Claude, a firebrand Baptist minister who was the Christian Democratic presidential candidate, issued the strike call to protest Sunday's scuttling of national elections. But with most radio stations that might have broadcast the strike call still off the air, the protest did not materialize.

Shops and open-air markets in Port-au-Prince were jammed. Noisy traffic jams clogged the downtown area, where violence Sunday by soldiers and armed gangs disrupted the scheduled vote. At his headquarters here, Claude said he would issue another strike call in coming days.

The ruling three-man National Government Council headed by Gen. Henri Namphy last night gave eight broad confederations, including journalists, labor unions and church associations, until tonight to nominate their representatives to a new electoral board. The council said it could not select anyone who served on the board that was dissolved last Sunday.

The government communique gave the groups 72 hours to act, but said the countdown should begin last Monday.

Haiti's five human rights groups, the first sector to respond, refused today to name a new representative, charging that Sunday's abolition of the old electoral board was unconstitutional. A constitution approved last spring gives the eight sectors plus the government the task of choosing one representative each to an independent electoral board. But if any sector fails to name a board member, the government council can choose its own representative to fill that place.

Namphy's government council hopes to form a new board that will allow it to control the electoral process. Namphy has blamed the collapse of the elections on the electoral board, which he has accused of planning to rig the election.

Many foreign diplomats and elections observers and Haitian politicians have defended the board, noting that no concrete evidence of any fraud attempt has emerged. "There has been no reason to doubt their integrity or their courage," a U.S. official said today.

Another western diplomat who followed the board's work closely said, "Maybe they were not always as wise as they should have been, but I don't think any foreign observers saw any major wrongdoing."

In June, the dissolved electoral board survived an attempt by the government council to seize control of the voting process. A two-month-long popular strike movement forced the government to back down. The board came under increasing attack after Nov. 3, when it carried out the terms of a clause in the new constitution that bars allies of the former Duvalier dictatorship from holding office. Out of 35 presidential candidates, 13 were disqualified.

In the week before Sunday's shattered vote, the state-controlled television defied the board by giving hours of nightly air time to the barred "Duvalierist" candidates, who assailed the board's honesty. The government refused to give any television time to the board to instruct voters how to vote.

Board members, who were supposed to be politically neutral, sometimes responded with harsh partisan language against the Duvalierists.

In a statement made public yesterday in Port-au-Prince, Bishop Willy Romelus of the western Jeremie region, one of the Roman Catholic Church's more radical and popular prelates, said the electoral board had been a victim of a government campaign to subvert its work. He advised Haitian voters that they "cannot go again to the polls under these leaders."

"The government council must be removed without delay," Romelus added.

Marc Bazin, a former World Bank official who was one of the four presidential front-runners in Sunday's aborted contest, said he will run in new elections as long as the groups nominating the electoral board are allowed to pick the members they want.

Bazin called on western countries to impose trade and other economic sanctions on Haiti until fair elections are held. A middle-of-the-road economist who served briefly as finance minister under Jean-Claude Duvalier and later became a critic of him, Bazin was reportedly deemed unacceptable to be president by high armed forces commanders.

"If I am unacceptable," Bazin commented today, "then I have to ask, who will be" acceptable?

Some presidential candidates whose chances of winning Sunday's elections appeared minimal joined a bandwagon of criticism of the old electoral board as the council promised a new vote.

Political scientist Leslie Manigat accused the dissolved board of a "frightening lack of organizational preparation" and claimed that there were "irregularities" reported Sunday that "would have tarnished the validity of the elections anyway."

{In Washington, the Organization of American States tentatively scheduled an emergency meeting of its Permanent Council for 11 a.m. Monday to discuss the Haitian situation, staff writer John M. Goshko reported. OAS officials originally planned the meeting for Friday but postponed it after the Haitian government decided to send a special envoy to Washington.

{Also in Washington, the Senate Appropriations Committee, in what was intended as a strong message of disapproval of the Namphy government's action, voted to strip all foreign aid to Haiti, except for some limited humanitarian assistance, from the government spending bill being prepared for the fiscal year running through next September.}

Canada's minister of state for external relations, Monique Landry, said in Ottawa that her government is examining the possibility of participating in an international peacekeeping force to supervise a new round of elections if the situation merits. On Monday, Namphy held a three-hour meeting, described as sometimes acerbic, with Canadian Ambassador Claude Laverdure, Landry said.