PORT-AU-PRINCE, HAITI, DEC. 11 -- The ruling National Government Council today named a new board to oversee scheduled national elections, while the four front-runners from aborted Nov. 29 elections called for the council to step down before they would participate in the new vote.

The statement was issued this morning by Marc Bazin, Sylvio Claude, Louis Dejoie and Gerard Gourgue in response to the military-dominated government's announcement Wednesday of an elections calendar leading to presidential and legislative balloting Jan. 17.

In an evening newscast, the government council headed by Gen. Henri Namphy announced the names of nine representatives it appointed to a new electoral board charged with organizing the vote.

None of the Haitians named is prominent, political observers said. "Not one of them is known by anybody," said Louis Roy, one of the authors of Haiti's 1987 constitution.

The former nine-member board was dissolved by the Government Council on Nov. 29, hours after the board suspended voting amid a shooting and arson rampage in the capital by antielections gunmen believed to be loyal to the deposed Duvalier dictatorship. That violence left at least 25 people dead.

With today's joint statement, the four candidates widely seen as the most influential members of the opposition unified and broadened their stance against the government. All except Claude had issued a statement Wednesday refusing to run in any election under the control of the three-man government council.

"They are free to participate or not in these elections. It is of no interest to the government to know who is a candidate and who is not," said Information Minister Francois Gerard Noel in an interview today.

The constitution, approved by an overwhelming public vote last March, stipulates that the Catholic and Protestant churches, human rights groups, a journalists' association, a university council, a confederation of agrarian cooperatives, the Supreme Court, the government council and one other government-linked group must each name a representative to the nine-member board. All but the Supreme Court and government council declined to name new delegates to replace those they selected for the dissolved electoral board. Since they declined, the constitution can be interpreted to give the Government Council the right to pick delegates of its own.

The four main opposition parties argue that the government council violated the constitution by abolishing the first electoral board and have demanded it be reinstated.

In their statement, the four candidates chastised the government council for announcing the elections schedule before a new board was in place. They viewed this as evidence that Namphy plans to keep a tight rein on the electoral process.

They said they are preparing a proposal for "an alternative government" to replace the current one.

Having received pointed criticism from the United States, Canada and France among other western nations over the elections collapse, Namphy won support from Jamaica's conservative Prime Minister Edward Seaga and leaders of four small Caribbean islands who visited Haiti yesterday.

Seaga told journalists by telephone last night that Namphy had assured him the Haitian armed forces would provide adequate security for the January vote.

The Army did not intervene when antielections gunmen rampaged on election weekend.

Seaga said he did not ask Namphy to explain the violence, which he called "history." He added: "We are satisfied {the government} is working sincerely to hand over power Feb. 7, and they are doing it in a manner consistent with the constitution as they see it."

Noel said the new electoral board will decide whether to authorize 13 candidates whom the previous board disqualified from the Nov. 29 election on the constitutional ground that they had been linked with the Duvalier government.