PORT-AU-PRINCE, HAITI, JAN. 10 -- The junta-appointed electoral board disqualified eight Duvalierist presidential candidates yesterday, drawing charges by opposition leaders today that the move was a sop to make next Sunday's election appear legitimate.

They said the junta led by Lt. Gen. Henri Namphy was maneuvering to clear the way for a candidate of its choice. The eight candidates had been associates of the deposed Duvalier family dictatorship.

The government rescheduled the elections for president and National Assembly after independently run balloting on Nov. 29 was aborted by a terror campaign here. Bands of thugs, in some cases aided by soldiers, killed at least 34 people at polling places.

"This is part of the {junta's} maneuvers. They're trying to legitimize the Jan. 17 elections," said Joachim Pierre, general secretary of the opposition Christian Democratic Party.

The party's leader, Sylvio Claude, and the other three leading presidential candidates are boycotting the scheduled election and demanding the government's resignation. They have widespread support. If junta members "are going to step down on Feb. 7 like they promised, it is obvious that they will first choose their replacement," Pierre said.

The electoral board, which replaced an independent body the junta dissolved, announced last night that it had disqualified 11 presidential candidates, including the eight Duvalierists.

The same 11 had been disqualified by the dissolved independent Electoral board, and the violence was widely attributed to disgruntled followers of several of them.

Under Haiti's new constitution, the Duvaliers' associates may not run for public office for 10 years. President Jean-Claude Duvalier, whose father, Francois, came to power in 1957, fled into French exile in February 1986.

Just before last night's announcement, soldiers set up roadblocks and searched cars for weapons and several Army trucks patrolled the streets of the capital, apparently to prevent a violent reaction from the disqualified Duvalierists.

"This new Electoral board works too closely with the junta. They had to disqualify the Duvalierists, or else their elections would be perceived as too illegitimate," said Rene Belance, spokesman for the dissolved Electoral board.

"I don't see how we can have honest elections; it will be something very partial," Belance said. "The Army will organize the elections according to its preferences.

"I don't see how the government can disinterest itself from the choice of a new president. They will certainly favor this {candidate} or that one," he said.

All but one of the 11 presidential candidates approved by the new board also were qualified by its predecessor. They include prominent rightists Gerard Philippe-Auguste, who has most distanced himself from the junta; Leslie Manigat, Gregoire Eugene and Hubert DeRoncerey.

In 1957, thousands of militants of Philippe-Auguste's party, the Movement for the Organization of the Country, were killed by Duvalier's militiamen, the Ton-tons Macoutes.

Half of the candidates approved by the dissolved board are boycotting the next vote, including -- Claude, Marc Bazin, Louis Dejoie and Gerard Gourgue.