JERUSALEM, JAN. 13 -- Israel today deported four accused Palestinian leaders of protests against Israeli occupation, in defiance of repeated appeals from the United States and a unanimous resolution of the U.N. Security Council against such expulsions.

Two more Palestinians were killed by Israeli troops, a 10-year-old boy in a Gaza Strip refugee camp and a 19-year-old during a West Bank demonstration, according Israeli authorities.

Meanwhile, U.N. Undersecretary Marrack Goulding was involved in a confrontation with Israeli authorities for the second day as he visited a U.N.-administered refugee camp in Gaza. Violence broke out when soldiers forcibly dispersed a crowd. Israeli and U.N. officials blamed each other for the outbreak.

The expelled Palestinians -- Husam Khader, Bashir Kheiri, Jamal Jabara and Jibril Rajub, all from the West Bank -- were flown in an Army helicopter from a prison at Nablus and released in Lebanon, at a mountain pass near Hasbaya, just north of Israel's self-proclaimed security zone on the border.

They were taken later to a Syrian military base in Lebanon's western Bekaa Valley, special correspondent Nora Boustany reported from Beirut. {Syria turned them back to the Lebanese Army early Thursday, Reuter news agency reported from Rashaya, Lebanon.} Lebanon, Syria, Egypt and Jordan have all said they would not accept Palestinians deported by Israel.

The four had withdrawn their appeals yesterday on grounds they were denied access to evidence they contended had been arbitrarily ruled secret.

They were denied a last visit with their families and their Israeli lawyer, Lea Tsemel, said that "for the first time in history the International Committee of the Red Cross was not notified."

"The authorities wanted to act as fast as possible for fear of reaction here and abroad," Tsemel said in a telephone interview. "They just threw them out."

{The International Committee of the Red Cross, in a statement in Geneva, strongly protested Israel's action, calling it "a grave violation" of the 1949 Geneva Convention on treatment of civilians in a war zone and saying that "the forcible transfer of groups or individuals from the occupied territories is forbidden by international humanitarian law, whatever the reason for it."

{U.N. Secretary General Javier Perez de Cuellar expressed "deep regret" at the move and Security Council President Crispin Tickell of Britain expressed "dismay and indignation at the attitude shown by the Israeli government." The Security Council scheduled a public debate on the issue for Thursday.

{In Washington, State Department spokesman Charles Redman said of the deportations, "That's an action we deeply regret." He said Washington would continue to discuss the matter with Israel but that he had no further comment.

{White House spokesman Marlin Fitzwater said, "We oppose the process of deportations and we believe these means will increase tension and that there are more appropriate means of law enforcement."}

Robert Sabol, the Israeli Foreign Ministry's legal adviser, rejected the U.S. criticism and told Israeli radio that Israel was "legally entitled" to act since it had ruled that the Geneva Convention's prohibition on deportation of residents of occupied territories did not apply to the West Bank or Gaza strip.

Diplomatic sources said Israel's coalition government felt staying the deportations would be interpreted by Palestinians as a sign of weakness. Since Dec. 9, they have demonstrated virtually daily to demand an end to the 20-year-old occupation.

But many Israelis and Palestinians said they fear that the expulsions will fuel more unrest, as happened 10 days ago when they were ordered.

Five other Palestinians have been ordered deported but their cases are under review. All nine had long prison records as convicted political activists and the authorities justified their arrest as a warning to deter future trouble.

As violent protests continued in the occupied territories, Israeli troops shot and killed Husam Mustapaha Jabal Maali, 19, in Kfar Nama, north of Jerusalem, when a patrol defended itself from stone-throwing youths, the Army said.

In the Gaza Strip, the Army said its troops shot and killed the 10-year-old boy and wounded seven persons in clashes at Jabaliya refugee camp. In Khan Yunis, two soldiers were slightly wounded when attacked by knife-wielding Palestinians, the Army said.

The two deaths bring the number of Palestinians killed by Israeli soldiers or civilians since Dec. 9 to at least 35. No Israelis have been killed.

The day was marked by scattered clashes elsewhere. It was the third day of a general strike in East Jerusalem and the West Bank, and businesses and public transportation were closed down. Israel imposed curfews on 13 Palestinian refugee camps, housing 150,000 refugees -- one-tenth of the population of the occupied territories.

Meanwhile, for the second successive day, Israeli authorities became embroiled in a dispute involving the visit by U.N. official Goulding to refugee camps administered by the U.N. Relief and Works Agency.

Goulding, barred by Israeli troops from visiting Jabaliya camp yesterday, visited Rafiah camp today. While he met with residents and U.N. doctors in a clinic, about 500 refugees chanted slogans denouncing Israel and the United States.

Over a bull horn, Goulding told the refugees: "We know you live in unacceptable conditions. I know you want the occupation to end and end as soon as possible."

Israeli troops intervened to disperse the crowd, setting off stone throwing that in turn was met with tear gas and firing of rubber bullets.

An Army statement said the outbreak was "a result of" Goulding's visit. Goulding told reporters that "what really made {the refugees} angry was that soldiers came into the camp during our visit."