JOHANNESBURG, JAN. 27 -- A black South African teen-ager who alleged in a recent CBS News documentary that he had been tortured by police has been found shot to death, five days after being questioned by authorities about the interview, officials and the youth's family said today.

Family members charged that Godfrey Sicelo Dhlomo, 18, had been hiding from the police because he feared he would be killed in retaliation for his appearance in the documentary, "Children of Apartheid," broadcast in the United States in December. The authorities denied the allegation.

Dhlomo's body, with a bullet wound in the head, was found Monday near his grandmother's home in the sprawling black township of Soweto near Johannesburg, police officials said.

Dhlomo also was interviewed in a Dutch television documentary in March, but was not identified by name in either program. He had told his CBS interviewer that he had been detained four times and was tortured by the police.

Police said that Dhlomo was recognized last Wednesday by officers carrying out a raid at the Johannesburg offices of the Detainee Parents' Support Committee, where he worked. Authorities said Dhlomo was taken to police headquarters for questioning about the allegations.

Support Committee spokesman Max Coleman said Dhlomo was questioned for several hours before being released, and that he was last seen alive at noon Sunday.

According to police, Dhlomo said in a sworn affidavit that he "was interviewed by a certain news agency director, who instructed him to tell, into the camera, how and when he had been detained and to say that he was manhandled and beaten. He said he then started to talk and told what had been dictated to him."

{CBS News spokesman Tom Goodman called the allegation of coaching "categorically untrue. Under no circumstances would a CBS News journalist instruct a subject during an interview."

{Goodman said CBS News was "deeply saddened" by Dhlomo's death, and that it had no further information about the incident.}

The Support Committee said that Dhlomo had denied to his coworkers that the interviewer had told him what to say on camera.

A police spokesman said that after making his statement, Dhlomo was released and that the next time authorities heard of him was on Monday, when police received an anonymous telephone call informing them that a youth was lying dead in the Emdeni Extension section of Soweto.

Police Brig. Leon Mellet, spokesman for the Ministry of Law and Order, said Dhlomo was taken in for questioning last week because he had been "identified as the one who made serious allegations" against the police.

Mellet rejected a charge by Dhlomo's mother, Sylvia Jele, that her son had been in hiding from the police "because they said they would kill him."

Mellet said he expected family members to blame the police for Dhlomo's death, adding, "We want to know why he was killed after he made a statement to us."

Last month, the South African government announced that it was investigating the hour-long CBS documentary, which was narrated by Walter Cronkite.

South African officials said they were furious because Cronkite and New York-based producer Brian Ellis produced the film without obtaining work permits. Both entered the country on tourist visas.

{CBS spokesman Goodman said there was "no breach of the terms of Cronkite's stay in the country." Ellis, he said, "did not mislead authorities, nor did he conduct any illicit interviews."}