HARVEY, LA., FEB. 3 -- One of the FBI's 10 most wanted fugitives, charged in the slaying of a Washington woman and wanted for questioning in five other Pacific Northwest killings, has been jailed for more than three months on a car theft charge under an alias, authorities said today.

The fugitive, Darren O'Neall, 27, was arrested last year in Lakeland, Fla., where he told police his name was John Mayeaux, Federal Bureau of Investigation spokesman Cliff Anderson said.

Florida police arrested him Oct. 25, 1987, on a car theft warrant from Harvey, La. He was extradited Dec. 30 to the New Orleans suburb, where he was fingerprinted, Anderson said.

Kathleen Gremillion of the State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation today was comparing the fingerprints in her Baton Rouge office with those of federal fugitives when she discovered Mayeaux actually was O'Neall, who is described as a career criminal with more than 15 aliases.

Her office immediately notified the FBI of her discovery, Anderson said.

Capt. Mark French of the Pierce County, Wash., sheriff's office said a detective was sent late today to New Orleans to question O'Neall and prepare the paperwork for his extradition to Washington.

"There are charges against him in three states -- Washington, Colorado and Louisiana -- but I imagine they will let us have him first," French said.

O'Neall is charged with first-degree murder in the March 28, 1987, slaying of Robin Smith, 21, of Des Moines, Wash., and is wanted for questioning in the disappearance of a 29-year-old woman from Whatcom County, Wash., whose body has never been found, Anderson said.

He also is charged with car theft in the disappearance of Wendy Aughe, 29. She last was seen April 25, 1987, leaving a Bellingham, Wash., restaurant with O'Neall, who reportedly was using the alias of Mike James Johnson.

Aughe's car was found a short time later in Eugene, Ore., but her body has not been discovered, Anderson said.

O'Neall is sought for questioning in the strangulation of Lia Szubert, 22, of Twin Falls, Idaho, Anderson said. Szubert's partially decomposed body was discovered June 13, 1987, at the bottom of a freeway embankment near LaGrande, Ore., after she last was seen alive when her car broke down at a truck stop near Mountain Home, Idaho.

O'Neall is wanted in Colorado on charges stemming from the 1986 sexual assault of a Colorado Springs woman.

Detective Jim Bell of the Salt Lake City homicide task force said his department would like to question O'Neall in the slayings of two northern Utah women.