RAMALLAH, FEB. 21 -- Two more Palestinians were shot dead in clashes with Israeli soldiers today and at least seven others were wounded as the Arabs of the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip began a week of protests against the planned visit Thursday of Secretary of State George P. Shultz.

One man was killed by gunfire in a refugee camp just outside this Arab town 10 miles north of Jerusalem, and a second was shot dead by Israeli soldiers in the West Bank city of Nablus during an alleged attack on an Army patrol there.

A third man, whose corpse was brought to a hospital in Nablus, apparently died of a heart attack that Palestinians claimed resulted from tear gas inhalation but that an Israeli Army spokesman said was unrelated to the violence.

The Army also reported that three people were wounded by gunfire in Kabatiya, one in Nablus and three in Khan Yunis in the Gaza Strip.

The two confirmed deaths brought to at least 59 the number of people killed since the Palestinian uprising began in Gaza nearly 10 weeks ago. Hundreds have been wounded by Israeli gunfire and several thousand injured in beatings by soldiers, according to U.N. officials, hospital sources and doctors. No Israelis have been killed.

{Israeli Defense Minister Yitzhak Rabin, interviewed on the CBS television program "Face the Nation," threatened to continue meeting "violence by violence" in the occupied territories.

{Referring to the alleged burying alive of four Palestinians earlier this month, he said: "We are all ashamed of it. It was inconceivable to any one of us that it could happen."}

U.N. officials also charged today that Jerusalem police and paramilitary Border Police conducted two large-scale raids on residents of the Shuafat refugee camp in predominantly Arab East Jerusalem over the weekend, smashing windows, furniture, rooftop solar heaters and water tanks in 52 houses. At least four persons were hospitalized with injuries and 20 to 30 others were beaten, a doctor at the camp said.

The first victim today was a 24-year-old man shot in the chest during a demonstration in the Deir Ammar refugee camp outside Ramallah. He was brought to Ramallah Hospital and died on the operating table. An Army spokesman confirmed the death.

The second victim was a man in his 20s shot during an incident near the casbah in Nablus when three men attacked soldiers with knives during a patrol. According to the Army's account, one soldier was lightly wounded. Meanwhile, a car appeared, the Army said, and tried to run down a soldier. An officer opened fire at the car, killing a passenger.

The deaths came on the first day of a week of protests announced in leaflets distributed last night and this morning by the Unified Leadership for the Uprising, an underground steering committee dominated by the outlawed Palestine Liberation Organization. The leaflets -- the eighth issued in the name of the group -- called for strikes and demonstrations to express "national outrage in the face of the Shultz visit."

An Army spokeswoman said the Shultz visit was a major factor in the renewed violence. "It was a big fire in the past, now it's little fires all the time," she said. "And something from outside can influence events very quickly."

An Army source said commanders on the West Bank had been shown a 20-minute compilation of film clips from recent American newscasts in an effort to sensitize them to the way beatings and other violent measures used by soldiers look on television.

But after a short hiatus in the violence last week, the stone-throwers and soldiers have renewed the pattern of confrontation in several West Bank population centers.

Shultz is expected to arrive Thursday from Moscow in a last-ditch effort to revive the stalled Middle East peace process before national elections in both the United States and Israel in November.

His preliminary proposals -- which are said to include a temporary autonomy arrangement and local elections for Palestinians in the occupied territories, an international event to open talks between Israel and a joint Jordanian-Palestinian delegation and negotiations on a final peace settlement to begin no later than December -- have been endorsed by the more dovish Labor Party half of Israel's coalition government. But Prime Minister Yitzhak Shamir's more hawkish Likud bloc has voiced serious doubts over the Shultz proposals.

Former Cabinet minister Moshe Arens, a close political ally of Shamir, today warned that the time was not ripe for a new diplomatic initiative. Speaking to reporters after an appearance in the West Bank Jewish settlement of Ariel, Arens cited divisions in the Israeli government and the prospect of new elections as well as the unrest, which he said were "not the best of background music for successful negotiations."

In raids over the weekend in East Jerusalem, police fired tear gas and rubber bullets at suspected rioters at the Shuafat camp and into nearby houses and smashed car windows and furniture, according to Jamal Awad, director of the U.N. Relief and Works Agency there. Salim Anati, a local doctor, said he treated at least 10 to 15 residents daily for injuries inflicted by police. Both men said tear gas canisters were fired into their homes.

Israeli authorities contend East Jerusalem, which they annexed in 1967 and which is under civilian rule, is different than the West Bank, which also was captured in 1967 and is under military rule as an occupied territory.