SEOUL, SEPT. 28 (WEDNESDAY) -- The U.S. men's basketball team's gold medal march came to a shocking end with an 82-76 loss to the Soviet Union and Carl Lewis' drive toward a repeat of his quadruple gold medal performance in 1984 ended the same way in the 200 meters Wednesday.

The last time the United States and Soviet Union met in Olympic basketball was 1972 and the Soviets won, 51-50, to hand the American men their only defeat in 86 Olympic contests.

Wednesday, there was no resetting of the clock twice in the final three seconds, as happened 16 years ago. The Soviets won this semifinal game straight up, 82-76, led by Rimas Kurtinaitais' 28 points and seven rebounds and Arvidas Sabonis' 13 points and 13 rebounds.

The U.S.S.R. will face either Australia or Yugoslavia in the gold-medal game Friday.

"I'm very disappointed and the kids are disappointed, but there will be life afterwards," said U.S. Coach John Thompson.

Shortly afterward, U.S. teammate Joe DeLoach caught Lewis in the stretch to win the 200. Lewis took the silver to go with the gold he already won in the long jump and the 100-meter victory that was awarded to him after Canadian Ben Johnson was stripped of the gold after a positive drug test.

Those two events highlighted a day in which light heavyweight boxer Andrew Maynard of Cheverly, Md., assured himself of at least a bronze medal with a victory over a Hungarian and the United States swept the medals in the men's 400 meters. Steve Lewis, 19, won the gold in that race, relegating world record holder Butch Reynolds to silver; Danny Everett took third.

Steve Lewis' time was 43.87 seconds.

The Olympics were still reeling from the news about Johnson, who returned home to Canada. But Johnson's departure did not end the drug news here as Dr. Han Moon, doping control chief of the Games, said another Olympic athlete had tested positive for stanozolol, the same steroid found in Johnson's urine. He said the athlete could not be named until a second analysis of the urine sample could be conducted.

Johnson was the seventh athlete and third gold medalist from these Olympics to test positive for a banned substance.

Although he headed for home without commenting, he told the Boston Globe on the trans-Pacific flight, "I don't care. It's not the only thing in life to win a gold medal."

Johnson's manager had claimed the positive drug test was the result of sabotage or something the athlete drank after the race. However, Olympic officials said Johnson's drug test disproved that theory and a Canadian sporting official told the Ottawa Citizen, "You can't get that result from using steroids one day."

As the decathlon competition began, Jurgen Hingsen of West Germany, the 1984 silver medalist, was disqualified from the first event, the 100 meters, after three false starts. Hingsen admitted two false starts but said of the third, "I never moved . . . It should never have happened to an athlete of my status."

Daley Thompson of Britain, going for an unprecedented third gold in the event, led after the 100 meters, but fell into second place behind France's Christian Plaziat after a weak long jump.

With five days remaining in the Games, the Soviet Union led the medal standings with 81 total, 35 gold. East Germany was next with 72 total and 29 gold, followed by the United States with 54 and 18.

Away from the competition, South Korean police recommended that a U.S. swimmer and his friend should be prosecuted for allegedly stealing an $800 plaster lion mask from a Seoul hotel.

A police spokesman said an investigation has concluded that Troy Dalbey of San Jose, a member of a gold-medal-winning relay team, and his friend Ernest Glenn, who is not an official member of the Olympic delegation, should face prosecution. A second member of the U.S. swimming team, Doug Gjertsen, should not be prosecuted, police concluded.

The recommendation is not binding on the Seoul city prosecutors. Sources said they do not believe that South Korean authorities will attempt to jail Dalbey or detain him beyond the end of the Olympics.

Another U.S. athlete was detained Wednesday, as runner Johnny Gray was questioned by police after he became involved in an argument with a taxi driver and reportedly kicked the vehicle. Gray, who raced in the 800 meters, was released in the custody of U.S. Embassy officials.

Ron Rowan, an attorney for the U.S. Olympic Committee, said Gray and three companions complained the cab was driving dangerously and almost hit them. Gray was acting in self-defense, Rowan said.

U.S. athletes were faring better at the playing venues. U.S. yachters won five medals, including a gold. In the first Olympic yachting class for women only, Allison Jolly and Lynne Jewell sailed to gold for the United States, even though they had to fix a faulty jib midway through the race in the women's 470 class.

Americans also won silvers in the Star and Soling events plus bronzes in sailboard and men's 470.

In soccer, the Soviet Union gained the gold medal game with an overtime victory over Italy. Brazil needed a penalty shootout to get past West Germany in the other semifinal.

Zina Garrison beat U.S. teammate Pam Shriver to reach the tennis semifinals, where she will play top-seeded Steffi Graf of West Germany.

In the ring, the United States increased its boxers in the semifinals to six as Maynard beat Lajos Eros of Hungary, bantamweight Kennedy McKinney decisioned Stephen Mwema of Kenya, welterweight Kenneth Gould got past Joni Nyman of Finland and heavyweight Ray Mercer stopped Italian Luigi Gaudiano in the first round.

In preliminary track competition, women's 100 meters champion Florence Griffith Joyner began chasing a gold in the 200 meters with two easy heat victories. In the second, she set an Olympic record with a 21.76 clocking.