The Senate Foreign Relations Committee yesterday commended President Bush for suspending U.S. talks with the Palestine Liberation Organization and urged him to continue the suspension until the PLO has "fully demonstrated by concrete actions" its renunciation of terrorism against Israel.

At the same time, the State Department, citing rising tensions in the Middle East and the possibility of a "reaction" to Bush's decision to break off the PLO dialogue, warned Americans traveling abroad -- especially in the Middle East -- to exercise "extra caution."

The committee had been prepared to pass a resolution calling on the president to break off the talks but reworded it into a commendation after Bush announced the suspension on Wednesday.

The change was recommended by committee member Connie Mack (R-Fla.), a principal sponsor of the original proposal, and approved without dissent by the panel. The Senate is expected to approve it shortly.

While the resolution generally reflected terms Bush used, it went further in urging that talks not be resumed until the PLO expels Abul Abbas, head of a radical faction of the PLO, who has asserted responsibility for an attempted May 30 attack on an Israeli beach. Bush asked that PLO Chairman Yasser Arafat "begin to take steps" to discipline Abbas.

Arafat has said he lacks the power to expel Abbas, who is a member of the PLO executive committee.

Bush and the Foreign Relations Committee also agreed that the PLO should condemn the aborted beach attack on Israel before the dialogue begins again. So far Arafat has not specifically condemned the attempted assault.

In its final form, the committee-approved resolution calls on Bush to continue the suspension of talks "until the PLO has fully demonstrated by concrete actions, including condemning the recent attack and expelling Abul Abbas from its executive committee, the PLO's commitments to recognize Israel's right to exist and {to} renounce the use of terrorism."

State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said the latest travel advisory, similar to one issued May 31, was not prompted solely by Bush's decision but by "a whole set of events and patterns" in the Middle East.

The earlier warning cited specific terrorist threats made after an Israeli murdered seven Arabs on May 20. Boucher said yesterday's warning was not prompted by any "specific threats."