If prosecutor Judith E. Retchin hadn't said, "The government calls 'Rasheeda' Moore," you might have missed her.

Gone was the glamorous young woman whose sloe-eyed image graced the cover of Essence magazine in 1976. There was no trace of the high fashion clothes and diaphanous gowns that Moore wore in photographic spreads during her modeling career.

It was a 39-year-old mother of three who entered the courtroom. She wore a plain black suit with a short skirt, a black silky-looking blouse, and dangling silver earrings.

If there was a trace of "Rasheeda," the high-fashion model who lured Marion Barry to the Vista Hotel on Jan. 18, it wasn't evident in her simple attire. Or her plump figure. Or her walk. If it was anywhere, it was in her smoothly coiffed hair, her perfectly made-up face. In her meticulously drawn eyes, the smoothness of foundation and blush, the bright red lipstick that framed her full lips.

Yesterday, after six months of waiting and anticipation, Hazel Diane "Rasheeda" Moore finally took the stand. When she entered the courtroom, spectators, reporters and the jury strained for a better look at Moore, the Delilah to Barry's Samson.

But when Assistant U.S. Attorney Retchin began questioning Moore about her relationship with Barry and their alleged drug use together, all talk ceased. As Moore spoke, her looks were forgotten as she detailed an adulterous relationship with the mayor during which, she said, they used drugs together "over 100 times," sometimes several times a day.

During more than three hours of testimony, Moore told of how Barry first called her in 1976, when he saw her photograph on the cover of Essence magazine.

Barry's wife, Effi, in the front row of the courtroom, sat erect, listening intently. Occasionally she sighed and moved her head from side to side in what appeared to be a gesture of dismissal or disbelief. Occasionally she smiled, as if at the absurdity of Moore's testimony.

She shook her head rapidly and appeared to mutter to herself when Moore said she and Barry smoked crack in a bathroom of the mayor's house when Effi Barry and their son, Christopher, were absent.

Moore testified that she had an "intimate" relationship with the mayor, one increasingly influenced by drug use, from 1986 to 1988. She said that over a three-year period, she and Barry sniffed cocaine and smoked marijuana, opium and crack together.

Moore, worried about her weight, said she started smoking crack seriously in the summer of 1987 on the advice of her manicurist, who "suggested an easy way to lose it {the weight} might be to try it."

Moore -- who appeared relaxed, confident, smooth and precise on the stand -- provided occasional moments of unintentional levity. According to Moore, on Dec. 22, 1988, shortly after the Ramada Inn incident, she met the mayor at her mother's house in Washington, where they smoked crack. The mayor, said Moore, took a big hit off the pipe, started shaking, and his eyes went out of focus.

"I grabbed him," she said. "I was concerned, because if something were to happen in my mother's house, she would kill me." Many people in the courtroom chuckled.

Moore, whose mother is a church organist, said that over time her religious upbringing made her uncomfortable with what she repeatedly characterized as her "adulterous" relationship with Barry.

"There were too many things I was trying to get together in my life," she said. "There was so much drug use over that period of time, I was losing myself, in terms of character, in terms of my children."

But when she tried to end the relationship with Barry, "he told me that it was divine providence that we were together."

At times, Moore seemed to be addressing the jurors directly, and at other times looking at the courtroom spectators.

As the day wore on, her calm, emotionless voice took on a breathless, dramatic quality as she detailed a relationship dominated by sex and drugs. But eventually sex was put on a back burner. After she and Barry ended their sexual relationship, said Moore, "we continued to use drugs together."