MONROVIA, LIBERIA, JULY 2 -- The following, transmitted by the Associated Press, is a pool report filed by journalists in Monrovia, including Michelle Faul of the AP.

Rebels attacked Monrovia today in a two-prong offensive, cutting all major land routes out of the Liberian capital.

Heavy automatic gunfire and artillery fire erupted in the eastern and western suburbs. People streamed from the city center to escape the fighting and headed for areas believed to be already controlled by the rebels.

State-run ELWA Radio, a Christian missionary station, said in its 7 p.m. broadcast (3 p.m. EDT) that the government was imposing a curfew from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. throughout the country. The radio also said diplomats were advised to stay in their missions or residences.

In response to the rebel onslaught, President Samuel Doe rebroadcast his June 25 proposal to include the rebels in a broad-based interim administration to govern until elections next January.

{In Washington, State Department spokesman Margaret Tutwiler said the United States is willing to help Doe depart the country if he asks for such assistance. As for the possibility of evacuating the remaining Americans, she said the United States "is considering all options." The U.S. Navy has had a task force off the coast. She said fewer than 800 Americans, including about 70 working for the U.S. government, remain there.}

Doe's proposed national-unity government would include the rebel National Patriotic Front and all political parties. Rebel leader Charles Taylor earlier rejected similar proposals.

Taylor has repeatedly demanded that Doe resign. The insurgents refused to attend a second round of church-mediated peace talks last week in Freetown, Sierra Leone.

All international telephone and telex lines were cut around 7 a.m. (3 a.m. EDT), and flights from the city's small Spriggs Payne airfield were canceled because crews could not reach it. Soldiers, some drunk, commandeered cars and extorted money from people.

More than 100 rebels marched down the main road from Mount Barclay village past the Coca-Cola bottling plant into the eastern suburb of Paynesville, 10 miles by road from the city center, witnesses said.

Automatic rifle and rocket fire echoed through the heavily populated suburb for much of Sunday night and this morning. Smoke poured from the army base there.

Rebels were reported within a few hundred yards of the main state radio transmitter, which still was broadcasting music interspersed with repeated broadcasts of the government offer to the rebels.

State radio went off the air intermittently, but said the shutdowns were due to shortages of fuel for a generator being used since Monrovia's power supply was cut off Friday evening. Water supplies were cut last Wednesday.

Five soldiers near the Swiss, West German and Moroccan embassies just five miles from the town center told a foreign reporter rebels were in the area. Other approaches to Monrovia also were guarded by only a few soldiers.

The main resistance was expected at Scheiffelin army base 12 miles east of Monrovia, but rebels appeared to have bypassed the camp or taken it.

"There are no defenses on the outskirts of the city and once {rebels} get to the executive mansion, they will find a bit of resistance; then it will all be over," said a Western diplomat, who declined to be further identified.

In a 1985 rebel attempt to overthrow Doe, the insurgents took most of the capital before being overpowered by Doe's soldiers. However, the president's forces this time have had little luck stopping the six-month advance of Taylor's men.

Doe was believed to be holed up in his fortified Israeli-built mansion facing the Atlantic Ocean with 500 troops of his presidential guard. Another 500 or so troops are believed to be in the capital. Vice President Harry Moniba and three other senior legislators held consultations with officials at the U.S. Embassy.

Thousands of Liberians trudged through the tropical rain back to homes, which by then were presumed to be in rebel-held territory.

Rebels also moved in from the northwest of this city of 500,000 people, cutting the road west to Sierra Leone at a river bridge, residents contacted by telephone said.

The rebels captured the nearby town of Caldwell, just two miles from Monrovia port early this morning, and soldiers fled back to the city center in pickups.

"It's terrible, terrible, there are so many. They are so armed and coming with vengeance written on their faces," said one Caldwell resident by telephone.

Some Monrovians, fearing their own army more than the guerrillas, tried to move toward the rebels' ill-defined lines.

Others tried without success to board an aircraft out of the country. They included Commerce Minister John Wesseh McClain, Doe's speechwriter, and a nephew of former president William R. Tolbert. Tolbert was killed when Doe seized power in a 1980 coup. Most of Doe's Cabinet and other senior administration officials have fled.

Liberian and diplomatic sources said army Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Henry Dubar resigned during the weekend. Defense Minister Boimah Barclay took the last plane out on Sunday to Guinea, aviation sources said.