BAGUIO, PHILIPPINES, JULY 27 -- Responding to cries of "Help us," miners rescued two people tonight who had been trapped for 11 days in the rubble of a luxury hotel destroyed by an earthquake that leveled much of this resort city.

Rescuers and spectators cheered as Luisa Mallorca, a hotel maid, was pulled from the wreckage of the Hyatt Terraces Hotel at about 9:50 p.m. Arnel Calabia, a security guard, was recovered about an hour later.

The two were in surprisingly good condition, doctors said. Calabia and Mallorca suffered cuts, bruises and severe dehydration. Calabia told reporters his right hand was injured and that nurses told him three fingers might have to be amputated. Mallorca complained of chest pains, rescuers said.

{Calabia, 27, said he hid under a table when the earthquake struck on July 16, Reuter reported. He said he survived by drinking rainwater that seeped into the rubble.

{"In the first four days I felt neither hunger nor thirst, but in the last few days . . . I survived on rainwater," he said.

{Calabia and Mallorca, 23, were rushed to Baguio General Hospital where Annie Bawayan, a doctor at the hospital, told Reuter that Mallorca said she survived by drinking urine.}

Dozens are believed to have died in the Hyatt during the quake, which killed at least 1,600 people, and at least 18 people are still unaccounted for. Foreign rescue teams gave up searching last week, convinced no survivors would be found, but local miners and other volunteers had vowed to keep looking until all the missing were accounted for.

Jacinto Benayan, one of the miners, said they stepped up the search Thursday after hearing cries of "Help us! Help us!" After boring for five hours, they reached the hotel elevator shaft and found Mallorca pinned beneath a beam. Calabia was found nearby.

Calabia said he, Mallorca and a male employee were on the third floor of the hotel when the quake, measuring 7.7 on the Richter scale, struck. All three dived under tables "and then the ceiling fell in," he said in a radio interview.

"We recovered consciousness later and we called out to each other," Calabia said.

The three lay in the dark, talked to each other and prayed, Calabia and Mallorca said. The male companion suffered serious injuries and died about four days ago.

Mallorca said the man complained of thirst in his final days and became delirious. "He said: 'I'm very, very thirsty. I want a cold Coke. Go to my wife and ask for money and buy us a Coke,' " she said in a radio interview. "The following day he was still asking for a Coke. I told him, 'Don't think about it, just pray.' "

The man finally fell silent. "I convinced myself he was not yet dead," Calabia said.

"I was okay where I was, but I realized just a while ago that there was a concrete slab above my forehead," he said. "Just a few more inches and I would have been dead too."

The Hyatt was one of eight hotels that collapsed during the earthquake, the strongest to hit the Philippines in 14 years. The quake devastated much of Luzon island. Baguio, a mountain resort 130 miles north of Manila, was one of the cities hardest hit. Nearly 400 people died in the town.

According to the latest figures, the earthquake left at least 1,653 people dead, 1,000 missing and presumed dead, 3,000 seriously injured and 110,000 homeless.

Maj. Gen. Gerardo Protacio, chief of the Philippine air force, today ordered gunships and rocket-firing planes to escort helicopters carrying relief supplies to villages struck by the quake. The order follows guerrilla attacks on two helicopters.

The military said the guerrilla fire Wednesday over the town of Kayapa represented a violation of the rebels'announcement of a unilateral cease-fire in areas hit by the earthquake.

{Also Friday, Defense Secretary Fidel Ramos accused politicians of stealing relief goods intended for quake victims, Reuter reported. Local politicians intercepted canned milk, sardines and blankets for distribution to their villages, even if those villages were unaffected by the quake, Ramos told reporters.}