A caption on Page A1 of yesterday's late editions misidentified the capital of Trinidad. It is Port of Spain. (Published 8/3/90)

PORT OF SPAIN, TRINIDAD, AUG. 1 -- Moslem rebels who had seized the Parliament building and state-owned television headquarters last Friday freed their 46 hostages and surrendered today, ending a siege that paralyzed the government and touched off extensive looting.

Yasin Abu Bakr, 48, the leader of the Moslem group, stepped out of the television building at 1:35 p.m., laid his rifle on the ground and bowed toward troops who trained their weapons on him.

"God is greatest!" Abu Bakr said, smiling, as he boarded one of two military buses taking members of his group, Jamaat Muslimeen, or People of Islam, into captivity. Officials said that the surrender was unconditional, and that the rebels were offered neither amnesty nor the prime minister's resignation, as they had demanded.

Despite earlier reports of an understanding with the rebels, Winston Dookeran, the cabinet minister who coordinated the government's response to the crisis, said, "Those who engaged in these very serious actions have now surrendered unconditionally and are being held in detention under heavy military and police guard. We have made no deals with this extremist group." He said said they would face charges.

The last of the surrendering rebels released the hostages, including seven Cabinet ministers and six other members of Parliament. Prime Minister Arthur Robinson, suffering from a gunshot wound in the leg, was released Tuesday and remained in a private medical clinic today.

Several of the rebels who boarded buses at the television headquarters indicated to reporters that they believed they would receive amnesty. But government spokesman Gregory Shaw said, "As far as we are concerned, it's an unconditional surrender." Asked if the rebels were under arrest, he replied that they were in "military detention."

The 112 rebels were taken to the Teteron military base, about 10 miles west of this capital. The hostages, who like their captors had received no food since Friday, were receiving medical attention.

The events appeared to resolve the most serious crisis in the history of this island republic, which until Friday was widely regarded as a model of stable democracy in the southern Caribbean. They took place on Emancipation Day, a national holiday commemorating the release of slaves in 1834.

Trinidad and Tobago, with extensive but dwindling oil resources, grew wealthy suddenly in the 1970s and early 1980s. However, since oil prices slid in 1986, the economy has tumbled and the events of this week -- especially the looting that accompanied them -- highlighted the deteriorating economic conditions.

Many Trinidadians said they were stunned and angered by the incident, which caused at least 22 deaths and hundreds of injuries, paralyzed the economy and put the country under an 18 hour-a-day curfew. However, many related the assault on the government to the economic decline and a series of austerity measures imposed by Robinson's government.

"We made our point," one of the rebels told reporters before he was transported to the army base. Said another: "We exposed the corruption of this island."

But the rebels apparently failed to achieve any of their stated objectives, which included toppling the government.

Shaw said, "I doubt whether the international community or tourists will be fazed by it in the long run."

The release of the hostages and the rebels took place in a driving rain amid heavy security. At Trinidad and Tobago Television, where 70 rebels were holding 29 hostages, the captives were released first, one by one, watched by dozens of heavily armed soldiers. They were taken to Camp Ogden, a military base near the city. The rebels had said at one point that they had wired explosives to their hostages.

Next, Abu Bakr appeared, dressed in a white, flowing, thigh-length shirt, white pants and a black knit cap. The first of the rebels to emerge, he remained there like a general inspecting his troops for an hour and 40 minutes as his men emerged singly with their hands above their heads.

The members of his group, from teenagers to middle-aged men, laid their weapons in a pile on the street, and were frisked by soldiers, first while lying face down on the street, then while standing spread-legged against a wall.

At the parliamentary Red House, where 17 hostages were held by 42 rebels, the release began around 5 p.m. and followed similar procedures that took until nightfall.

Government officials and diplomats say they have prepared contingency plans to ensure that food supplies are adequate following five full days of commercial paralysis in the capital.

{In New York, Trinidad's Consulate appealed for donations of food and medicine, Reuter reported.}

Hundreds of motorists formed lines at gas stations throughout the capital today, after several days of short supplies. Many shops remained shuttered following waves of looting that emptied downtown stores over the weekend.

Independence Square, downtown, scene of some of the most intensive looting, resembled a war zone, with garbage and shards of glass strewn about the sidewalks. A few shop owners inspected the damage to their stores.

A few gangs of young men continued to roam the downtown area, apparently looking for more opportunities for looting. Police officers who caught them pushed them to the ground and beat them with lengths of rubber garden hoses before letting them go.

One police officer said the men were not arrested because there was no space for them in the jails: "We're full up. This is all we can do to keep them away."

Throughout the day, scattered shots continued. But after so many days of chaos, few people flinched.