BANGKOK, THAILAND, SEPT. 2 -- The president of Cambodia's Vietnamese-backed government, appearing to reject key features of a new U.N. peace plan, said his government wants to maintain the political and military status quo.

The U.S. assistant secretary of state for east Asian and Pacific affairs, Richard Solomon, said today that Vietnam had similar reservations in talks with the United States last week.

Cambodian President Heng Samrin's comments came in a speech broadcast by the state radio Saturday. The text was seen today in Bangkok.

He said his government regarded the U.N. plan "as a basic document" for future talks and was ready to discuss it with the three factions of the guerrilla movement during meetings Indonesia is arranging.

But he said, without elaborating, that his government's stance "is to maintain its status quo -- both politically and militarily."

The U.N. role, he said, should include verifying that agreements are implemented and organizing an election.

The peace plan was adopted Tuesday by the United States and the other permanent members of the Security Council -- China, the Soviet Union, Britain and France.

The three rebel groups fighting the government have expressed support for the plan, and on Friday, Cambodia's deputy prime minister in charge of foreign affairs, Hor Nam Hong, said the Phnom Penh government accepted a major U.N. role, including supervision of certain key ministries during a transition from the present government to one formed by elections.

The peace plan calls for the United Nations to supervise and, if necessary, control five key government ministries in the transitional period. It also calls for the armies of the Phnom Penh government and the three guerrilla groups to be disarmed and regrouped into supervised cantonments.

The four Cambodian factions would then form a Supreme National Council as a figurehead government.