AMMAN, JORDAN, SEPT. 2 -- U.N. Secretary General Javier Perez de Cuellar said today he was disappointed that two days of talks with Iraq's foreign minister had failed to make any progress in resolving the Persian Gulf crisis.

"As I leave Amman, I must acknowledge a certain disappointment because I had hoped for more in my discussions with Foreign Minister Tariq Aziz," Perez de Cuellar said after holding three rounds of talks in the Jordanian capital with Aziz, a key adviser to Iraqi President Saddam Hussein.

"I would have liked to inform the {U.N. Security} Council that real progress had been made during the discussions here in Amman, but, in all honesty, I cannot do so at present, nor can I anticipate the council's reaction," he added.

The U.N. leader told reporters he saw no sign of any softening of Iraq's refusal to withdraw from Kuwait, which Iraq invaded Aug. 2. "I did not find any indication of flexibility, apart from allowing women and children to leave," Perez de Cuellar said in an interview with French television.

In the only suggestion yet by Saddam that he would consider a withdrawal from Kuwait, the Iraqi leader has said he might pull his troops out if Israel withdrew from the West Bank and Gaza Strip, lands it occupied more than 20 years ago. Iraqi officials have criticized the West for moving aggressively to enforce U.N. resolutions calling for Iraq's withdrawal while doing little, they say, to back up other U.N. resolutions demanding an Israeli pullout from the occupied territories.

But Perez de Cuellar today rejected any such attempt to link the Iraqi and Israeli situations. "A sin does not justify another sin," he said.

Perez de Cuellar held out some hope that the scheduled summit meeting next Sunday in Helsinki between President Bush and Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev may lead to a solution in the gulf crisis.

Diplomats in Amman expressed pessimism over the U.N. leader's talks with Aziz. One diplomatic source described the talks as "pretty useless." Another termed Perez de Cuellar's mission "very short-lived."

The talks had raised expectations, in part because of Aziz's role in Iraq's government. Aziz holds three key positions -- as a member of the ruling Baath Regional Leadership, the Revolutionary Command Council and the government -- and he is seen as having unusual ability to sway Saddam's views on foreign policy issues.

Perez de Cuellar rejected suggestions by Aziz that more time and quiet diplomacy are needed to settle the conflict. "We should be very clear that the present situation is very explosive," the U.N. leader said. "You cannot say, 'I want quiet diplomacy,' and then spend months and years dealing with this problem."

Asked whether he detected any shift in Iraq's refusal to withdraw from Kuwait, the secretary general replied, "Not in a manner which I expected." Nevertheless, he said he is prepared for future contacts and noted that Aziz had assured him that Iraq does not intend to start war against the U.S.-led forces in the gulf.

Perez de Cuellar was to depart for Paris where he is expected to meet French President Francois Mitterrand and with Jordan's King Hussein, who is on a tour of Western capitals.

The U.N. leader described a new seven-point proposal by Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi as an "interesting idea." Under the plan, which Gadhafi said was drawn up after consultations with Jordan and Sudan, Iraqi troops would withdraw from Kuwait and be replaced by U.N. forces.

U.S. and other foreign troops stationed in Saudi Arabia would be replaced by Arab or Moslem forces, according to the Libyan proposal. The U.N. embargo against Iraq would be lifted. Iraq would be given Kuwait's Bubiyan and Warba islands, providing Baghdad with access to sea lanes for its oil exports. Under the plan, the Kuwaiti people would be allowed to choose their government.

Gadhafi, who outlined his proposal in a speech Saturday, said Libya would defy the U.N. embargo by refusing to enforce a ban on food shipments to Iraq. "It is not possible for us to participate in an action designed to starve . . . people and children," he said. Gadhafi said Libya has authorized Iraqi ships to dock at its ports to stock up on food and fuel free of charge.

Meanwhile, in an interview with Time magazine, Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak said, "If Saddam Hussein agrees to evacuate, I will be the first to call for all foreign forces to leave the region. Then we shall replace them with Arab troops. Once the Kuwaiti government is restored, the problems between Iraq and Kuwait can be resolved in negotiations."