CAIRO, SEPT. 7 -- The exiled emir of Kuwait offered today to provide $5 billion this year to help pay for the U.S. military deployment in the Persian Gulf and compensate other states for losses incurred in the global economic embargo against Iraq.

Secretary of State James A. Baker III announced the offer after meeting with the emir, Sheik Jabir Ahmed Sabah, who is conducting business out of an opulent fifth-floor hotel suite in the mountain resort of Taif, Saudi Arabia, where he fled after the Aug. 2 Iraqi invasion of his country. The exiled Kuwaiti ruler said his country "will not spare any amount" of its vast wealth to repel Iraq's invasion.

The emir's commitment followed Thursday's promise by Saudi Arabia's King Fahd that his kingdom also will provide a multibillion-dollar assistance package, including fuel, transportation, water and other necessities, for U.S. forces defending Saudi Arabia.

Taken together, the two commitments will likely provide more than half of the $6 billion that Baker estimated Operation Desert Shield will cost through the end of the year. It will also ease the economic dislocation to nations joining the embargo, particularly Turkey and Egypt.

The announcements, coming shortly before Sunday's Helsinki superpower summit, seemed designed as part of a campaign led by the United States to turn up the pressure on Iraqi President Saddam Hussein incrementally.

Baker told reporters that Kuwait's contribution would be divided about evenly between the U.S. military and the nations seeking embargo relief. Kuwait and other donors are being given the discretion to earmark their contributions for economic assistance to other Arab neighbors, he added.

U.S. officials said they believe Kuwait's decision to make such a large contribution -- more than twice what some U.S. officials had expected from Kuwait -- was based on a growing sense of desperation over winning back their country.

The Kuwaiti offer came as Baker raced around the gulf on a circuit of fund-raising and diplomacy designed to assuage those in Congress who want a larger share of the costs of the military deployment to be borne by wealthy oil-producing nations as well as Japan and countries in Europe whose economies are heavily dependent on gulf oil.

Baker also solicited help today from the United Arab Emirates' president, Sheik Zeid Sultan Nahayyan, in a brief stop in Abu Dhabi. Afterward, Baker said, "I detected a very positive and appreciative and forthcoming attitude," but he would not specify whether the wealthy Emirates had made any financial commitment.

Speaking Arabic in almost a whisper, Kuwait's Sabah, who has reportedly been ill, held what Kuwaiti officials described as his first audience with reporters in the hotel suite.

Answering a few questions through an interpreter with Baker at his side, the emir said: "As a person whose country has been aggressed against, I hope that the issue will end as soon as possible, no matter what it means."

Asked if he is willing to pay the price of turning Kuwait into a battleground, he replied, "In order to restore my country to what it was earlier . . . {we} will not spare any amount, any value. We will give whatever is necessary to accomplish that."

Kuwait's worldwide assets before the invasion had been estimated at more than $100 billion, much of it abroad. The United States and other nations froze Kuwaiti assets after the invasion to prevent Iraq from plundering them. Kuwaiti officials have said subsequently, however, that they are still able to control their overseas financial accounts.

The desperation of the Kuwaiti leadership was reflected in comments by Kuwait's housing minister in exile, Yahya Sumait, who told reporters: "We don't speak in terms of dollars. We are willing to sacrifice our lives. We are willing to give everything we have."

Sumait called on the United States to use military force to reclaim Kuwait soon. "If it is up to us, we don't have much time to give," he said, "because Kuwaitis inside Kuwait are living a nightmare."

He said there is an active resistance "under the supervision" of the exile government, but he declined to provide details. Sumait said he knew of no United States backing for the resistance through the CIA or the military.

He also dismissed any talk of agreeing to hold an election to replace the ruling Sabah monarchy as a possible diplomatic solution to the crisis. "I would say it openly and from the bottom of my heart, and this reflects every Kuwaitis' opinion, that no one in Kuwait -- no one -- will want any other leadership other than the Sabah family."

Earlier today, before departing Jiddah, Saudi Arabia, Baker met again with the Saudi foreign minister, Prince Saud Faisal, and again ruled out any compromise with Saddam as long as he continues to hold Kuwait. On demands that Saddam withdraw and restore the "legitimate government" of Kuwait, he said, there is "no room to give."

Baker also paid a visit this afternoon to a new Saudi air base now housing American F-111 ground-attack planes; reporters were asked not to identify the location for security reasons.

Baker told about 200 pilots and crew members who gathered in a heavily fortified hangar that many people have recently predicted a decline in U.S. influence in the world. "Your presence here . . . is very telling in answering that criticism," he said.

Baker is to meet with Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak on Saturday before flying to Helsinki for the superpower summit.