NAIROBI, SEPT. 9 -- Liberian President Samuel K. Doe, who had been bottled up at his seaside executive mansion for more than three months by insurgents seeking to overthrow his 10-year rule, was shot in both legs and captured by rebel forces today during a chaotic shootout near the port in Monrovia, according to a British Broadcasting Corp. report.

The BBC's correspondent in the Liberian capital said fighters loyal to rebel leader Prince Johnson wounded Doe and captured him today during the firefight at the military headquarters of the West African peace-keeping force, which was sent to Monrovia last month to end Liberia's more than eight-month-old civil war.

{The State Department in Washington confirmed that Doe had been captured by Johnson's forces, but made no further comment, news agencies reported.}

The BBC said more than 60 persons, most of them members of Doe's bodyguard, were killed in the battle, in which automatic weapons and hand grenades were used. Several hours later, Johnson called the BBC in London and reported the Liberian leader's capture, the BBC said.

The rebel leader declared that Doe would be put on trial swiftly, on unspecified charges. Johnson also declared himself president of Liberia pending elections, the BBC said.

The gunfight reportedly broke out shortly after Doe left his mansion for an unscheduled visit to the headquarters of Ghanaian Gen. Arnold Quainoo, commander of the West African force, according to the BBC. Johnson and some of his forces followed Doe, and a quarrel erupted that turned into a prolonged exchange of gunfire and hand grenades, the BBC report said. Johnson's troops wounded Doe and carried him off to their base camp, it added.

Today's incident came only days after Doe and Johnson were reported to have agreed formally to a cease-fire in the conflict, which has claimed at least 5,000 lives and left more than 500,000 homeless. Doe and Johnson both had welcomed the West African peace-keeping effort.

Johnson and several hundred renegade troops split off from the main Liberian rebel force led by Charles Taylor several months ago.

Taylor, who also has claimed Liberia's presidency, has vowed to continue fighting the 4,000-member West African force, Johnson's troops and Doe's soldiers, estimated to number about 500. Taylor's chief aim throughout the conflict, enunciated regularly in blustery interviews with foreign reporters, has been the capture of Doe and the overthrow of his reign.

There was no immediate comment from Taylor about the reports of Doe's capture. Neither was there any word about the reaction of Doe's surviving forces at the mansion.

Fabricated claims by the warring sides have been a feature of this conflict. On Aug. 14, Taylor's forces claimed to have killed Johnson, who later turned up and held a press conference.

Doe came to power in a bloody military coup in April 1980. An illiterate, 29-year-old army sergeant, he oversaw what has been widely considered one of the more corrupt and blood-stained governments on the African continent, rewarding members of his Krahn tribe and allied Mandingos with greater power and economic benefits while largely suppressing and ostracizing the Gio and Mano tribes.

The West African forces reportedly have gained control of many key sections of Monrovia but continue to encounter stiff resistance from Taylor's rebels. Thousands of West African nationals who had been trapped in Monrovia for months by the fighting have been put aboard ships and sent home in recent days.