A planeload of refugees from Kuwait and Iraq were met by eager family members and a downpour yesterday at Baltimore-Washington International Airport.

Clutching red and gray airline blankets to keep off the chill and torrential rain, 94 adults carried or led 66 children into a hangar to arrange tickets to other points in the United States, get emergency financial aid or run, at last, into the arms of waiting relatives.

"I feel very happy and I am glad I came," said Syed Wajid, a physician who fled Kuwait City with his wife and six of their children.

Wajid said he had seen soldiers stopping cars and forcing the occupants to lie face down in the dirt.

"The conditions {in Kuwait} are deteriorating day by day . . . . The shops are closed, there is no one to repair the cars. There is no labor anywhere," said Wajid, who will be staying with his sister's family in a Baltimore suburb.

The refugees, 54 Americans and 106 foreigners with ties to the United States, spent Saturday night in London before boarding a Pan Am flight to BWI.

On landing at BWI, they spent an interminable hour sitting on the runway because airport authorities didn't want them to disembark during lightning storms and heavy rain that briefly swept through the area.

One young girl was taken by ambulance to the terminal so doctors could examine a burn she received while in the Middle East, said Robert Gould, spokesman for the Maryland Emergency Management Agency, which is coordinating the welcome.

Family members spent the time talking to crisis counselors and reporters.

"It's been a month and a half of misery," said Waleed, a 21-year-old college student whose American mother was aboard the plane. He and his sister, Bettina, 23, were born in Kuwait and are attending college in the Washington area.

They would not give their last name because their father, a Kuwaiti businessman, and brother are still in Kuwait.

"I called my mother on the morning of the invasion. She didn't know anything. The rest of the world knew before the Kuwaitis that they were being invaded," said Bettina, who was wearing a red "Free Kuwait" T-shirt.

Wajid's waiting brother-in-law, Mohammed Khan, said, "The happiest thing is that they are well and alive."

"I'm so excited . . . . We've been waiting two hours so far," said Wajid's oldest daughter, Maleha, 18, who is studying computer science at Harford Community College.

Yesterday's flight from London was the third planeload of refugees from Kuwait to arrive at BWI in a week.

In all, 607 former hostages have come through the airport, Gould said.

The federal government will provide the refugees with money for tickets to other U.S. destinations and emergency needs, but the refugees must repay the loans.

Most of the exhausted refugees rushed from the airport as quickly as possible, but one American woman read a statement urging immediate military action against Iraq.

"If {Kuwaitis} don't get help, they might as well be dead," said the woman, who would not give her name or say why she was in Kuwait. "Something needs to be done. We can't wait for the sanctions to work."

The woman, who wore traditional Arab dress and carried a small child, said she had kept herself informed by listening to Voice of America radio broadcasts. She said she had heard bombs and seen gunfire.