JOHANNESBURG, SEPT. 20 -- The African National Congress today accused President Frederik W. de Klerk of "bad faith" in dealing with the recent wave of township violence and announced that it will convene a meeting of all homeland leaders, including Zulu Chief Mangosuthu Buthelezi, the main political rival of ANC leader Nelson Mandela.

Analysts said the meeting might provide a forum for Buthelezi and Mandela to get together at last and appeal for reconciliation between their respective supporters, who have been battling in the townships around Johannesburg in a six-week surge of violence that has taken more than 750 lives.

Buthelezi heads the Kwazulu homeland, as well as the Zulu-based Inkatha Movement, which the ANC accuses of instigating much of the violence. The homelands are areas in South Africa that the government set aside for black tribes and declared to be self-governing and in some cases independent in an attempt under the apartheid system of racial separation to remove blacks from South Africa proper.

The ANC's accusation against de Klerk comes as he prepares to leave for Washington, where he is to meet early next week with President Bush, congressional and other American political leaders in a bid to persuade them of his sincerity in wanting to negotiate with the ANC a peaceful end to white-minority rule here.

Ending a three-day emergency meeting of its National Executive Committee, the ANC issued a statement bitterly attacking de Klerk's policies. It was the first time the ANC leadership has so emphatically questioned his personal integrity and motives.

The ANC demanded that de Klerk establish an independent judicial commission to investigate the activities of right-wing elements in the security forces it accuses of fanning the violence to upset the negotiating process.

It warned de Klerk that unless his government was "seen to be taking appropriate measures to apprehend and prosecute the perpetrators of this violence, it will have to take full responsibility for the derailing of the peace process."

The ANC accused the de Klerk government of adopting a "two-track policy," accepting on the one hand the need for a negotiated settlement while, on the other, devising "strategems to weaken the ANC" and other anti-apartheid groups.

Its "laissez-faire attitude" toward the violence was deliberately aimed at creating "a climate of insecurity, fear and terror and thus make a decisive majority of our people more amenable to an authoritarian regime," the statement said.

It said the government's recently announced measures to crack down on the violence were designed to "abridge the civil liberties of the African population" and to "repress legitimate political activity {and} reintroduce the state of emergency by guile" rather than track down the real instigators of the violence.

The ANC leadership noted the "veritable avalanche of charges" of police and army partiality toward what it called the "vigilante aggressors" responsible for the violence.

On Wednesday, police confirmed that whites had been involved with blacks in shooting pedestrians from a van traveling through downtown Johannesburg eight days ago. Three people, including a white woman, were killed and eight others injured.

The police confirmation served to lend credence to ANC charges that white right-wing elements have been involved in stirring up the violence.

The ANC executive committee called for the establishment of an independent judicial commission provided with adequate powers to investigate these charges and apprehend those responsible.

On Wednesday, de Klerk announced formation of "special investigative units" to examine charges of police misconduct in the township violence, but the panels are to be headed by government officials answerable to the justice minister.

"We are obliged to draw the attention of the South African people and the international community to the act of bad faith committed by State President de Klerk in his most recent actions," the statement said.

Despite the harsh criticism of de Klerk today, a senior ANC official told a business conference in London that the black nationalist organization was still committed to keeping the negotiations on track.

"Despite everything that has happened, the ANC is still determined that the peace process can and must continue," said Thabo Mbeki, head of the ANC's foreign affairs department.