A Washington defense consultant, after telling a federal judge he is a man of service and dedication to his country, was sentenced to 32 months in prison yesterday for bribing a high-level Navy official to grant an Israeli firm a $100 million contract to produce unmanned reconnaissance aircraft.

William M. Galvin, 59, was also fined $10,000 and ordered to pay $648,000 in unpaid back taxes for his role in a scheme to illegally award an Air Force radar contract to New York-based Loral Electronic Systems.

"My life has been one of service to my church, my family and my country," Galvin told the court before sentencing. ". . . I've never done anything to jeopardize the safety of my country."

Galvin, one of the wealthiest businessmen convicted in the Ill Wind investigation into Pentagon procurement fraud, pleaded guilty in March to conspiracy to defraud the government, tax evasion and two counts of bribery.

Though Galvin's 32-month sentence equals the longest handed down in the Ill Wind probe, it was far less than the 51 months to 65 months recommended by the federal probation office.

U.S. District Judge Claude M. Hilton, accepting a motion from federal prosecutors, agreed to lessen the sentence because of what was described as Galvin's extensive cooperation in the investigation of government officials and influential businessmen.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Joseph J. Aronica, who requested that Galvin's sentence be reduced, first told the court that Galvin pleaded guilty "to perhaps the most serious activity one can engage in -- the bribery of a public official."

Aronica added, however, that Galvin's cooperation was unparalleled and has moved the Ill Wind probe forward considerably.

"From virtually the day he {pleaded guilty}, Mr. Galvin has been debriefed by government agents," Aronica said,

William D. Nussbaum, Galvin's attorney, argued for leniency, saying his client "has been humiliated publicly and lost almost all the material gain" he earned during his professional life.

Galvin has alleged in court papers that former assistant secretary of the Navy Melvyn R. Paisley ordered Navy procurement officials to award Mazlat Ltd. contracts involving aerial drones used to monitor enemy movements.

At a brunch in the Watergate Hotel in 1987, Paisley allegedly demanded that a phone be brought to the table and directed a Navy official to meet immediately with Mazlat executives, according to Galvin's plea statement.

That day, the Navy official agreed to include Mazlat in the program.

According to court documents, Galvin, Paisley and two others intended to divide $2 million in kickbacks that Mazlat agreed to deposit in installments in Swiss accounts. Paisley, who left the Navy post in 1987 to form a consulting company associated with Galvin's firm, once asked Galvin how to bring some of the payoff money into the country.

"We talked about this stuff sometimes and I don't understand how to do it best . . . to bring some of that money out of Switzerland and into this country," Paisley said, according to a portion of a conversation secretly taped by federal agents and submitted as part of the trial record.

Paisley has not been charged in the case, and his attorneys have said that he never compromised his government position in any way.

Four defense firms and 34 individuals have been fined or sentenced to imprisonment or community service in the Ill Wind investigation, which became public in June 1988.