President Bush insisted yesterday that Saudi Arabia continues to support the U.S. policy of no concessions to Iraqi President Saddam Hussein and said, "There is no give on it. If you reward the man with one iota of territory, you have rewarded aggression."

In Saudi Arabia, Gen. Colin L. Powell, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, conferred with senior U.S. military commanders on whether to add more troops and arms to the U.S. Persian Gulf deployment.

At the Pentagon, spokesman Pete Williams announced that the U.S. deployment of armed forces to Saudi Arabia may continue if senior military officials believe additional troops are necessary to give the president a full range of options, including the option to go on the offensive.

The president's remarks during an appearance at a Republican campaign rally in Waterbury, Conn., came a day after the Saudi defense minister indicated in published comments that if Iraq withdrew from Kuwait, the Saudis would not resist some Iraqi claims, including their claims to some territory in Kuwait.

Asked at a news conference about those remarks and the resulting efforts by Saudi Arabia to clarify them, Bush said, "They repudiated the first reports. He {Saudi Defense Minister Prince Sultan bin Abdulaziz} was not talking about any compromise on territory."

Bush said rewarding Saddam with territory "is not the position of the United States or of our coalition partner."

In Washington yesterday, the Saudi ambassador to the United States denied that the Saudis want Kuwait to yield territory to settle the gulf crisis peacefully.

"Saudi Arabia has not suggested that there should be concessions by Kuwait to anybody," Prince Bandar bin Sultan told reporters after an 85-minute meeting with Secretary of State James A. Baker III at the State Department. "It is not our right. That is a decision for the Kuwaitis to make."

Bandar, the son of Prince Sultan, contended that the press had misinterpreted his father's remarks.

"He was not implying Kuwait should do one thing or another," Bandar said of his father. "He was talking about how disputes can be solved not by aggression, which Iraq has committed, but by dialogue . . . ."

{In Saudi Arabia, King Fahd said Saddam would not lose face if he withdrew from Kuwait, and Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak said he hoped the gulf crisis would end without bloodshed, the Associated Press reported.}

Senior administration officials expressed concern that intelligence reports show continued strengthening of Iraqi positions in Kuwait, which Iraq overran and occupied Aug. 2. "They are continuing to dig in, showing signs that they don't intend to let go," Pentagon spokesman Williams quoted Secretary of Defense Richard B. Cheney as saying yesterday.

A senior administration official here yesterday expressed frustration over what he called the continuing "enhancement and augmentation" of Iraqi military power in Kuwait, and said U.S. military officials are advising that additional reinforcement is needed before any offensive military action can be contemplated against Iraq. About 200,000 U.S. troops are in the gulf region.

The official, who spoke to reporters on condition of anonymity, said there was "clearly a {military} desire that we have more mechanized and armored forces in the region" but indicated that no decision had been made on additional deployments.

Spokesman Williams said, "The question of whether the deployment is complete or not is one of the things that Gen. Powell is evaluating. He will be talking to Gen. {H. Norman} Schwarzkopf {commander of U.S. forces in the Middle East} about that question and they will be reporting back" to Cheney. Afterward, Williams said, "decisions will be made on whether additional forces need to be sent or not."

Powell told reporters in Saudi Arabia yesterday that "the Iraqi forces still remain very solidly in Kuwait . . . and frankly, I have not seen any evidence of withdrawal." He was also consulting with Saudi and U.S. military officials on command-and-control problems that have intensified as more Western and Arab forces have joined the multinational forces there. Cheney in the past has expressed confidence that U.S. military commanders would be able to exert total control in combat over U.S. forces, while also working in concert with Saudi, European and other Arab forces, but Williams yesterday indicated that problems persist.

"The command-and-control relationship is a subject of concern, of course," Williams told reporters. "Is there more work to be done? Sure there is."

Bush, during his campaign swing through New England, also had some harsh words about the Iraqi release of a handful of Americans today.

"It just reminds me of the brutality of the policy -- the total brutality of holding people against their will and parceling them out as though to look generous. It is unacceptable," he said.

In a campaign speech in Vermont, Bush reiterated the comparisons he has drawn between Adolf Hitler and Saddam. White House spokesman Marlin Fitzwater said Bush "just wanted to express some pretty strong resolve in light of stories in the last few days out of Saudi Arabia."

In the speech, Bush recounted stories about Saddam's looting of Kuwait and his troops' actions against citizens there. He complained anew about the cutoff of food and water for foreign embassies, including that of the United States.

"The starving of embassies -- good God, this is 1990," Bush said. "There can never be compromise, any compromise, with this kind of aggression." Devroy accompanied the president on his campaign trip. Staff writers R. Jeffrey Smith, John M. Goshko and Patrick E. Tyler contributed to this report from Washington.