NEW YORK, DEC. 11 -- Kevin Richardson, 16, today became the first defendant convicted of attempted murder in the assault and gang rape of the woman known as the Central Park jogger. A second youth was acquitted of the same charge and convicted of lesser charges.

Spectators erupted in anger and shock when the verdicts were returned against Richardson and Kharey Wise after 12 days of jury deliberation. Richardson's mother, Grace Cuffey, fainted, and the courtroom was cleared while she was treated with oxygen at her seat.

As he was led away in handcuffs, Wise told prosecutor Elizabeth Lederer: "You're going to pay for this. Jesus is going to get you. You made this . . . up."

Richardson, 16, was convicted of attempted murder, rape, sodomy, robbery, assault and riot. Wise, 18, loudly cursed Lederer after being acquitted of 10 of 13 counts against him, including attempted murder, rape and sodomy. He was convicted of first-degree assault, sexual abuse and riot.

Three other teenagers were convicted in August of rape and assault in the case.

Richardson and Wise were ordered to jail without bail, pending sentencing Jan. 9.

Richardson, charged as a minor, faces a maximum prison term of five to 10 years. Wise, charged as an adult, could receive nearly nine to 26 years in prison if the judge orders him to serve the terms concurrently.

Wise admitted in a videotaped statement that the attack on the investment broker in the park April 19, 1989, "was my first rape, and it will be my last." His lawyer, Colin Moore, argued that police obtained the statement through coercion.

The verdicts came in the second trial stemming from the attack on the woman, now 30, along a jogging path in Central Park. She still suffers vision, balance and olfactory problems.

The victim, found about four hours after the attack, lost three-fourths of her blood. Her skull was broken, her left cheekbone was crushed and she had bruises all over her body.

Wise and Richardson wept and hugged each other when the verdicts were read. Their attorneys said they would appeal. Supporters of the defendants yelled at the judge and the prosecutors.

Last August, Antron McCray, Yusef Salaam and Raymond Santana, all 16, were convicted of rape, assault and other charges in the case. All were sentenced in September to five to 10 years in prison. Steven Lopez, 16, is to be tried early next year.

The second trial began much as the first had, with Lederer saying the defendants' words would convict them. Defense lawyers said videotaped statements were coerced by racist police looking for black and Hispanic suspects. The statements were the prosecution's chief evidence.

Wise described how the victim screamed, kicked and struggled violently until struck unconscious with a rock. Lederer asked him whether he thought they had left the woman dead.

"That's the way I looked at it," he replied.