LONDON, DEC. 18 -- Iraqi forces in occupied Kuwait have tortured and executed hundreds of unarmed civilians, some of them children, arrested thousands of others and cut off 300 premature babies from hospital incubators, according to a report released here today by Amnesty International.

Unconfirmed reports about baby deaths have been rampant since the Aug. 2 invasion. "We heard rumors of these deaths as early as August," Amnesty said. "But only recently has there been substantial information on the extent of the killings."

A press spokesman at the Iraqi embassy here called today's report "a fabrication."

The London-based human rights organization offered some of the most graphic, first-hand material yet published on alleged Iraqi atrocities, particularly on the summary executions of young Kuwaiti men for alleged resistance activities.

An unnamed, 19-year-old student told Amnesty he and two others were taken blindfolded and handcuffed to one of their homes early one morning after two weeks of detention and torture. At the doorstep, he said, all three were shot in the head by soldiers. He survived because the two bullets grazed him, but his two companions were killed.

"Time and again, we were told that the most common way soldiers killed people was to take the victim to his family's doorstep, have his relatives identify him and then shoot him in the back of the head," said the report.

Amnesty said it appeared that many of those killed had not been involved in violent resistance to the occupation. "Some people were killed because they resisted the 'Iraqization' of their country by carrying Kuwaiti money or refusing to pledge allegiance to {Iraqi President} Saddam Hussein," said the report. "Others were killed simply for refusing to help soldiers loot medical equipment or while trying to flee the country."

The report quoted a member of the Kuwaiti Red Crescent who said after a while there were so many corpses that the morgue at Kuwait City's Mubarak hospital ran out of room and bodies had to be stored in large refrigerators that had previously held food. He also said that by the beginning of October, the Iraqis had taken all of the burial equipment and even the shrouds used for bodies.

Amnesty also cited accounts from a Red Crescent physician who claimed that 312 babies died in the early days of the invasion after soldiers looted incubators from Razi, Addan and Maternity hospitals. The physician, whose name was withheld, claimed to have helped bury 72 infants at the Rigga cemetery.

Two witnesses also claimed to have seen dead bodies at Addan. One, a 15-year-old Kuwaiti girl, claimed to have watched Iraqi soldiers dump 15 babies onto the hospital floor from their incubators, while a Kuwaiti doctor said he knew of 36 dead babies at the hospital.

Last week an Icelandic doctor who headed the intensive care unit at the Mubarak hospital denied exiles' reports that babies had been pulled from their incubators at his hospital but said "lots of babies died because of lack of staff."

Amnesty said its 82-page report was based on medical evidence and detailed interviews with more than 100 people from a dozen countries, including Kuwait, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, Egypt, India, Britain and the United States.

It said most of the abuses took place in the first three months after the invasion, when resistance against the occupation was widespread. The severity of the suppression, it said, "appears to have crushed much of the opposition."

The group called on Baghdad to release those held for nonviolent activity and to grant immediate access to the International Committee of the Red Cross, which Baghdad so far has barred from Kuwait.

In an interview with Britain's Independent Television News last month, Saddam replied, "I have not heard of any such acts" when asked about atrocities in Kuwait. He accused the Western press, which has been denied access to the country since Aug. 2, of "trying to fill the minds of people everywhere, every day, with lies about the situation."