TEL AVIV, JAN. 19 (SATURDAY) -- This city shuddered under the impact of four or five loud explosions early this morning, only minutes after air raid sirens warned of incoming Iraqi Scud missiles, confirming the fears of Israelis that U.S. and allied air strikes had not yet knocked out all Iraqi missile launchers within range of Israel.

Civil defense sources and other witnesses said three or four Scuds had hit central Tel Aviv, which had been struck by Iraqi missiles less than 24 hours before.

Some of the missiles hit inside the city within a two- to three-mile radius of the Defense Ministry compound, which houses the headquarters of the Israeli armed forces, according to a senior government source in Jerusalem.

Civil defense officials said 10 people had been injured in the attack.

One missile hit the Tel Aviv stock exchange, a few hundred yards from the Defense Ministry.

Another slammed into a community center in the Hatikva district of Tel Aviv, ripping a gaping hole in the center's sheet-metal roof and demolishing a small building. Stunned residents of the densely populated neighborhood stood in streets flooded by a broken water main and watched as police searched the center for any possible casualties. Authorities said that no one apparently was in the center.

Windows of houses surrounding the center were blown out and the streets were covered with debris from damaged buildings. Local residents said that the missile impacted moments after they had heard the air raid sirens.

Another missile landed alongside fuel storage tanks adjacent to Joshua Park, an amusement park in north Tel Aviv, but did not ignite the tanks. Police at the scene said they found blood near a crater and assumed that it was from a soldier who had been on guard duty at the tanks. They said he apparently had made his own way to a hospital.

One man who lives near the park said he saw the missile descending from northeast of the park, and saw trees bent by the force of the missile's passing, just before impact.

Two hours after the attack, the streets of Tel Aviv remained largely deserted as people remained in their homes even after the all-clear.

A government source in Jerusalem said he was surprised that the Iraqis had targeted military sites after hitting residential neighborhoods in Tel Aviv on Friday morning. But, he said, initial indications showed that the missiles had not hit their intended targets.

"It shows {the Iraqis} can try to be precise but have no effect whatsoever," the source said. Scud missiles are known to be relatively inaccurate over long distances, often missing targets by a matter of miles.

This morning's attack came after Israelis had spent Friday evening, the beginning of their Sabbath, in their bomb shelters. Today, in the wake of two Iraqi attacks, Israelis could grow only more fearful of the violence spilling into their country from the Persian Gulf War.

"There's nothing that I can describe like a man who has to endure all night hiding like an animal, shivering a little with a gas mask covering his face," said veteran Moshe Petter in a neighborhood store where he stocked up on food Friday, between the two attacks. "I can take so much, maybe another night or two, but not too much longer."

Friday night, air raid sirens screamed twice through Tel Aviv, tearing at residents' frayed nerves and sending them scrambling to their shelters. In the first incident, sounded nationwide, the alarm was called off after about 30 minutes, and an army command spokesman said the alarm was triggered by a suspicious radar sighting.

The second alarm, only heard in this city, lasted about five minutes before the all-clear was given, and a spokesman said it was sounded when an object was detected that later turned out to be a "Soviet satellite."

In Washington, Pentagon spokesman Pete Williams said the object in the sky was a "Soviet space booster rocket body" that was returning to earth. "It is a piece of space garbage," he said.

An army spokesman here said that if radar operators detect a suspicious object, they sound an alarm even if it could be something other than a Scud missile. "Instead of waiting to analyze the situation, they prefer to give the alarm. We should expect to have more of these," the spokesman said.

The alarm that sounded at 7:20 this morning, however, was not a false one. About four minutes after sirens sounded, a series of four or five explosions could be heard in Tel Aviv; confirmation that at least some of them were caused by missile hits followed about an hour later.

At the time of the alert, Israel radio directed all residents of the country to donm gas masks in case the incoming missiles carried chemical warheads. A half-hour later, the radio told people living north of Hadera and south of Ashkelon that they could remove their masks, but those living between thos points were told to leave their masks on.

There were no indications that any of the missiles that landed carried chemical weapons.

During the day Friday, public works crews had cleared the last of the rubble from houses hit in the barrage of high-explosive Scud missiles that struck early Friday morning, and rattled residents fortified their "safe" rooms and stocked provisions in anticipation of another attack.

"This was the first such experience for Tel Aviv since 1948. Why shouldn't we expect another {attack}, because the problem hasn't been solved yet," said Petter, 51, a public school teacher, whose immediate neighborhood was not hit in Friday's missile attack.

Recalling Friday morning's attack, Farah Shour, 23, said, "we thought it was gas. We were in shock. I was shaking. I thought I was going to die."

Shour said only a few seconds lapsed between the time she heard the warning siren and the explosion of the missile, which landed in a field nearby, demolishing two bungalows and heavily damaging a row of two-story houses.

The military command said one unexploded missile crashed into a vacant apartment in Tel Aviv and that another severely damaged a textile factory on the outskirts of town. Missiles also fell on Haifa, north of Tel Aviv.

A woman who experienced the missile hit on Ezra said that when she heard the sirens she thought, "to hell with Saddam Hussein, I'm going back to sleep for a couple of hours." She said the next thing she remembers was the wall next to her bed collapsing on her, and then frantically kicking aside bricks in search of her sister, who already had run to another part of the house.

Although the seven missiles caused only 12 "light" injuries, according to authorities, it is the randomness of the damage caused by the relatively inaccurate but powerful Scud missiles that is so scary, residents said. Some likened the Scud to the German V-2 rockets used against Britain in World War II, which were intended to instill panic and break the morale of the civilian populations.

Although injuries directly resulting from the impact of Friday's missiles were minimal, three elderly people were reported to have suffocated from improper use of their government-issued gas masks. Civil defense authorities said they failed to remove a ventilation cap on the filter of their rubber face masks and were apparently too panicked to take off the masks.