KILLEEN, TEX. -- Among thousands of soldiers deployed from the massive Fort Hood Army base to Saudi Arabia, at least two want nothing to do with the war with Iraq, or indeed the military at all.

Capt. David Wiggins and Sgt. Lloyd Sensenbaugh want out. One is committed to peace; the other is at war with himself and his commander. Their wives, with little else in common, are here at home base, isolated from the tightknit subculture of army spouses.

Sensenbaugh's story is something out of Joseph Heller's "Catch-22," with perhaps a touch of the Cpl. Klinger character in "M*A*S*H." He is 26, from Baltimore and serves in Alpha Company 17th Engineering Batallion 2nd Armored Division. He enlisted six years ago after being rejected by the Navy because of lifelong asthma.

Sensenbaugh's service records, made available by his wife to The Washington Post, indicate that he has often visited military mental-health clinics. Last May 10, after a bout with depression, he was diagnosed by Maj. David T. Orman, chief of psychiatry, and Capt. Lang K. Coleman, chief of psychology, at Fort Hood's Darnall Hospital. Documents show their conclusion that Sensenbaugh had a schizoid personality disorder and chronic, severe asthma.

"Sgt. Sensenbaugh's condition will not improve," the doctors wrote in their psychiatric evaluation. "He will continue to have chronic pulmonary problems . . . in many ways related to his unique personality and response to stress. The expeditious way out of this problematic scenario for both the soldier, the Army health-care system and command would be to administratively separate the soldier. . . . This is strongly recommended. . . "

In military lingo, getting out of service before one's time is up is called being "chaptered out." Doctors can recommend that someone be chaptered out, but the decision is made solely by the soldier's commander. When Iraq invaded Kuwait Aug. 2, separation proceedings for Sensenbaugh had not begun. In September, another doctor at the post's mental-health clinic reaffirmed the disorder, and in October, Sensenbaugh's unit received orders for the Persian Gulf region.

All of the company's members were evaluated to see whether they were deployable. Despite his protests and the doctors' documents, Sensenbaugh was deemed fit, and he left for the Middle East Oct. 18.

In Saudi Arabia, according to letters and documents he has sent to his wife, Vena, he has deteriorated mentally and physically. One health record, following an asthma attack after playing volleyball in the desert, showed that his lung capacity was about 50 percent of normal. He has been disciplined for lax performance but not sent home.

The Army has little to say. "All we can say is we found him to meet the deployability criteria," said Maj. Ed Veiga, public-affairs officer for Sensenbaugh's division. Asked how someone judged to have a schizoid personality disorder could meet deployability standards, Veiga said the commander sets the standards depending on the situation

Sensenbaugh's commanders in Saudi Arabia were not available for comment. According to several sources at Fort Hood, several officers and soldiers said they never saw Sensenbaugh exhibit mental or physical problems and questioned his claims.

"I'm married to him," Vena Sensenbaugh said. "I know he's not lying, that he really is sick, and it's getting worse. They try to make him out to be a liar. They treat me like a pariah. He is not going to have a fighting chance if war breaks out. I often wonder, if a casualty officer comes to my door some day, are they going to be able to convince me he was a war casualty, or was he unable to perform because of his illness?"

Wiggins is better known. He is the West Point graduate and flight doctor who began a fast in November after being denied conscientious-objector (CO) status. National television crews came here to document Wiggins's struggle as one of the first officers to articulate anti-war sentiments.

Wiggins, 28, said that, if released from service, he would repay the military for the seven years of medical training that the country provided him. He boarded a plane with his unit Dec. 17 and then, in essence, disappeared.

According to letters he sent to his wife, Pat, a home-care nurse in Killeen, military policemen accompanied him to the gulf. At every stop, he said, they made sure that he did not seek out reporters or make telephone calls. The military would not comment on his treatment. His wife said he told her that he has been prohibited from making calls.

Shortly after arrival, Wiggins told his wife, he was ordered to end his fast or face five years in prison. Wiggins ended his fast. Although his wife does not know precisely where he is stationed, she said he is seeing patients and performing his duties while awaiting further court proceedings on his CO requests, which began months before the Iraqi invasion.

Wiggins told his wife that he has received five death threats but reported none of them. "Two of them were from former classmates at West Point," Pat Wiggins said. "David said they came up to him and said, 'You better keep looking over your shoulder because, if you make a wrong turn, we'll kill you.' He has to worry . . . {about} his own soldiers."

Wiggins has sent his wife four letters, the last Dec. 23. "My only crime is to stand . . . for my beliefs," he wrote. "Now I am treated with suspicion and distrust. . . . If, as an American, we cannot take an honest, peaceful stand for what we believe in, what do we really have? That is not the America I will die for."