Not-Guilty Plea In Calif. Shooting
LOS ANGELES--A not-guilty plea was entered yesterday for Buford O. Furrow Jr., the white supremacist who allegedly confessed to shooting up a Jewish community center and killing a Filipino American letter carrier.
Stephen Hillman, the magistrate presiding over the federal arraignment, set a tentative trial date of Oct. 12.
Furrow, standing between his public defenders, Sean Kennedy and Marilyn Bednarski, quietly answered "yes" when asked if he understood his rights and had read the indictment against him.
When Kennedy said they did not plan to enter a plea, Hillman responded by saying the court would enter a not-guilty plea. That is not an unusual procedure.
Furrow's hands were handcuffed in front of him. He did not look at the audience, which included the sisters and a nephew of postal worker Joseph Ileto.
Ileto, 39, was shot to death on Aug. 10. Although the arraignment was for the killing only, the government could add hate crimes allegations that would include the wounding of five people, including three children, earlier the same day at a Jewish community center in suburban Granada Hills.
Furrow faces state charges of attempted murder in the Jewish center shooting.
Furrow turned himself in to the FBI in Las Vegas the day after the attacks and allegedly told authorities the shooting was "a wake-up call to America to kill Jews."
Judge Backs Marchers On Police Response
NEW YORK--Organizers of a Harlem march that ended last year in a brawl with police asked a federal judge to force the city to grant a permit for this year's rally.
The judge agreed with organizers that police may have overreacted to threats of violence at last year's Million Youth March. Organizers asked the judge to limit the city's police force so it does not again use helicopters and large numbers of riot-clad police to disperse the crowd afterward.
"Certainly, some of it seems excessive, helicopters swooping in at 4 o'clock," U.S. District Judge Denny Chin said as he discussed the way police moved in a year ago at the exact moment the four-hour rally was required to end.
The city last week refused to grant a permit after its organizers threatened to stage the rally with or without a permit.
Roger S. Wareham, a lawyer for the Million Youth March, told Chin that rally organizers were urging peace and could not be held accountable for everything every speaker said last year.
Last September, 28 people were injured, including 16 police officers, when a confrontation ensued between police and rally participants as it concluded. A federal appeals court allowed the rally to take place but limited its size and duration.