Students took to the streets of Jakarta today to mourn protesters killed in two days of fierce anti-military riots, as fresh protests over a new Indonesian security law erupted in the Sumatran city of Medan.

About 500 students gathered peacefully near the site of Friday's worst clashes in Jakarta, scattering flowers and carrying black banners that decried military brutality.

Seven people, including a policeman, died in 48 hours of rioting that began Thursday, hospital and government sources said.

The students chanted "Revolution!" and blocked a busy road, which leads to Jakarta's airport, in one direction. About 100 policemen looked on.

In the North Sumatran capital of Medan, 2,000 students blocked roads, burned tires and threw rocks at security forces. They later dispersed, with no reports of serious injuries.

The protests and unrest were sparked by a security law passed by parliament on Thursday. Its critics say the law gives too much power to the military.

But in a rare capitulation, the government announced late on Friday that it would suspend endorsement of the law until it had been accepted by the people.

President B.J. Habibie today expressed condolences over the deaths.

"The president has expressed condolences to the families of seven victims," the education minister told reporters after a meeting of top security officials and Habibie.

But students were not placated by the government's move to suspend the law and said it should be withdrawn.

Two people were killed late on Friday night in Jakarta just as the riots were waning after the law was suspended.

Witnesses told newspapers that a convoy of 10 troop carriers, escorted by motorcycles, had approached the gates of a hospital and fired shots randomly, killing two and wounding dozens. The government said today that the shots were fired from a minivan directly behind the convoy.

Opposition politicians and human rights activists blamed the shooting at the hospital on the military.

Military commander Gen. Wiranto "must be held fully responsible for this," Bara Hasibuan, of the National Mandate Party, was quoted as saying by the Suara Pemabruan daily. Wiranto, like many Indonesians, uses only one name.

Armed forces spokesman Maj. Gen. Sudrajat apologized for the incident and said it would be investigated. "On behalf of the armed forces and the police, we regret the event and ask for forgiveness," he was quoted as saying by the Antara news agency.

One of those killed at the hospital was a student at Jakarta's prestigious University of Indonesia. Fellow students, dressed in yellow university jackets, carried his coffin and photograph through the streets.

In addition to the two people killed at the hospital, three protesters were shot dead, apparently by sniper fire, and a policeman was run over and killed. The government reported a seventh death but gave no details. At least 100 people were injured.

One student was in critical condition today after security forces stormed the University of Indonesia campus in the middle of the night, firing shots randomly, a student group said.

Antara said three shots were fired at the Australian Embassy in Jakarta during Friday's unrest. It was the second time shots have been fired at the embassy. There is widespread resentment here about Australia's response to the East Timor crisis.