Hiro Uyesugi remembers his son losing his temper only once during 15 years at Xerox Corp., when he kicked an elevator door a few years ago and had to undergo anger management counseling.

But nothing in Byran Uyesugi's history hinted at the bloodshed that erupted at Xerox's offices on Tuesday, when police say he walked into a second-floor meeting room and fatally shot seven co-workers.

Uyesugi, 40, was expected to be arraigned Thursday. He will likely face a charge of first-degree murder--a rarity in Hawaii that is usually reserved for cases involving multiple deaths. The maximum punishment for a conviction on first-degree murder charges is life in prison without the possibility of parole. Hawaii has no death penalty.

Uyesugi lives in an older, wood-frame house with his father and brother, raising fish in backyard tanks and collecting guns. Speaking through a screen door today, Uyesugi's brother, Dennis, said he hadn't spoken to the suspect since his arrest.

"The family is doing the best that it can right now," he said. "We've been putting things in order." Police credit Dennis Uyesugi with helping to get the negotiations going. He said he told his brother through an intermediary "basically just to give himself up."

He didn't ask his brother why he allegedly shot his co-workers, and he could not offer any suggestions.

The shooting was the worst tragedy in Xerox's history and the worst mass murder in Hawaii's history. It was a stunning blow in a state with just 24 murders last year and an enduring reputation as America's paradise.

"You would never think it would happen at your workplace. You hear it all around," said Andy De Leon, a Xerox employee. "But this is too close, way too close."

Uyesugi, who fixed copiers at Xerox, was clad in a green Hawaiian print shirt when he entered the building shortly after 8 a.m. KITV-TV, citing unidentified sources, said Uyesugi was on his way to a meeting when he shot two men, missed a third, and then shot five more.

"We all heard this banging noise, like a hammer hitting on a piece of metal," De Leon said. "We didn't think anything of it then. Then all of a sudden a boss called out and said, 'Follow us,' and we started running out.

"Someone asked what happened and he said somebody got shot upstairs," De Leon said.

Uyesugi left the building and waved goodbye to a co-worker before driving off.

Five victims were slain in a conference room, and two other bodies were found nearby. All had been shot with a 9mm handgun at close range, authorities said. Police found 20 9mm shell casings at the scene. They have not established a motive for the shootings.

At the scene of the shooting, passers-by draped flower leis over a wall at the entrance. The building remained closed.

"Like all of us at Xerox, you undoubtedly have the question 'Why? How could this have happened?' " Xerox Hawaii General Manager Glenn Sexton said. "Perhaps we'll never know."

CAPTION: Byran Uyesugi, suspect in shooting rampage at Honolulu Xerox office, is shown in image from television.