Police Say Okla. Shooter Used Father's Gun

FORT GIBSON, Okla.--A 13-year-old boy who opened fire on his middle school classmates used his father's 9mm semiautomatic handgun, which was purchased at a Wal-Mart, authorities said yesterday.

Police Chief Richard Slader told reporters the boy fired the gun at least 15 times Monday outside Fort Gibson Middle School before being subdued by a teacher and had more ammunition available. The attack wounded four students; a fifth suffered bumps and bruises.

Slader said the gun was registered to the youth's father and purchased at a Wal-Mart in 1993. Wal-Mart stopped selling handguns in 1994.

Witnesses said the young suspect offered no warning before the attack. The smart and popular seventh-grader simply went under a tree, pulled out the gun and began firing, fellow students say.

Seattle Police Chief Quits in WTO Aftermath

SEATTLE--The city's police chief announced his resignation, becoming the first political casualty of the violent protests that disrupted the World Trade Organization conference.

Police Chief Norm Stamper had been harshly criticized by civic leaders, police officers and others for his handling of the demonstrations last week that cost downtown merchants nearly $20 million in lost sales and property damage. The protests got so out of hand that the National Guard was called in and a curfew was imposed.

Stamper, 54, said he had planned to announce his retirement in January but did so now in hopes of removing politics from the examination of what went wrong.

Mayor Paul Schell has also come under fire. But at a news conference with Stamper at his side, he repeated that he will not resign. Stamper said he will cooperate in any investigation of the police department's role in dealing with the demonstrations. However, he declined to answer several questions about the rioting.

Nicked Cable Delays Shuttle Launch

CAPE CANAVERAL--A damaged cable aboard space shuttle Discovery has forced NASA to postpone yet again its long-delayed flight to repair the Hubble Space Telescope.

The nicked cable was found Monday during routine inspections of the main engine compartment. Shuttle managers decided there was no way Discovery could blast off 12:13 a.m. Saturday as planned and moved liftoff back to 11:42 p.m. Saturday.

The Teflon-coated cable is needed to send commands to one of the three main engines. The cable also feeds information back to launch controllers.

CAPTION: Students at Fort Gibson (Okla.) Middle School hug before an assembly at which school officials discussed Monday's shootings.