Hotel Worker Charged With 5 Counts of Murder

TAMPA--A housekeeper was charged Friday with opening fire inside a hotel crowded with football fans in town for a bowl game, killing four co-workers before shooting a fifth person dead as he tried to escape.

Silvio Izquierdo-Leyva, 36, was charged with five counts of first-degree murder and three counts of armed carjacking during an initial hearing in Hillsborough County Circuit Court.

Izquierdo-Leyva, an immigrant from Cuba, was arrested shortly after he opened fire around 3 p.m. Thursday in the Radisson Bay Harbor Inn and struck seven people.

The slain hotel workers were identified by authorities as Eric Pedroso, 29, Barbara Carter, 55, Jose Aguilar, 40, and George Jones, 43. Three hotel employees were wounded.

After the shooting, Izquierdo-Leyva allegedly drove a hotel employee's car to a restaurant about five miles away, where he tried to take a car from Dolores Perdomo, 56, police said. She was shot dead when she resisted, and Izquierdo-Leyva was arrested a short time later, police said.

Of the three wounded, one was in critical condition and another was in serious condition. The third was treated and released on Thursday.

Fake Bomb Threat Fails to Stop Flight

SAN FRANCISCO--A Missouri man was arrested after allegedly phoning in a fake bomb threat in hopes of delaying a jet long enough for his girlfriend to catch the flight.

But the Korean Airlines flight was already en route to Seoul and authorities allowed it to proceed after discovering the threat Thursday was a hoax.

Flavio David Mendoza of Hazelwood, Mo., was arrested Thursday after he admitted to police that he phoned in the threat to Korean Airlines, authorities said.

FBI agent Jennifer Burnett said Mendoza called the airlines several times, urging them to hold the flight from San Francisco to Seoul so that his girlfriend could make the connection from St. Louis. Later, an unidentified caller phoned an operator claiming he overheard two men say there would be an explosion aboard the Seoul flight.

Authorities said Mendoza later admitted to police that he made the fake threat, prompting officials to notify the pilots to proceed to Korea.

Mendoza was taken into federal custody in St. Louis. He faces up to 10 years in prison if convicted of making a false report of a terrorist act.