THE AMERICAS

Car Bomb Kills Four in Colombian City

BOGOTA, Colombia -- A car bomb exploded yesterday outside the attorney general's offices in Medellin, Colombia's second-largest city, killing four people and recalling the dark days of a drug war that turned the city into one of the world's deadliest places.

Rebels moving their 38-year insurgency into Colombia's cities are suspected of carrying out the blast, which wounded 32 people. Attorney General Luis Camilo Osorio, in Bogota when the bomb went off, said the blast might have been retaliation for mass arrests earlier this week of suspected rebel militias in Medellin.

The car, containing 88 pounds of explosives, blew up just before 8 a.m., collapsing walls, blowing out windows and damaging buildings and cars.

A 3-year-old boy, two employees of the attorney general's office and a cafeteria worker were killed. Red Cross spokeswoman Lina Marcela Campaz said that 32 people were wounded.

Associated Press

AFRICA

Ivory Coast Talks Continue Despite Attack

PARIS -- Ivory Coast political leaders and rebel chiefs pressed on with talks near Paris to end a four-month war, as President Laurent Gbagbo's government accused rebels of breaking a truce with a new attack.

The Ivorian defense minister, Bertin Kadet, said rebels attacked loyalist positions at the western town of Blolequin and breached the terms of a truce that was to be in effect during a peace conference hosted by France, the former colonial power. Rebel groups were not available to confirm the fighting, which would be the first since rebel groups in western Ivory Coast signed a truce Monday to end fighting that began with a failed coup on Sept. 19.

Reuters

EUROPE

Serbian Ex-President to Go on Trial

BELGRADE -- Former Serbian president Milan Milutinovic has agreed to turn himself in to the U.N. war crimes court, which has indicted him over his role in the Kosovo conflict, Prime Minister Zoran Djindjic said.

The tribunal indicted Milutinovic in 1999 along with then-Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic and three other former senior officials for alleged atrocities against ethnic Albanians in Kosovo, the southern province of Serbia now under U.N. rule.

"Milutinovic's departure to The Hague will be voluntary," Djindjic said. "We expect him to appear in The Hague in the next few days, without an official escort. That was his request."

Milutinovic, 60, was accused of responsibility for the killing of hundreds of ethnic Albanians and the expulsion of hundreds of thousands from their homes.

Milutinovic has alleged that although he was president of Serbia at the time of the conflict, he had little real power, because Milosevic was in charge.

Reuters