Al Qaeda Operative Pleads

Guilty in Conspiracy Case

NEW YORK -- An al Qaeda operative pleaded guilty to conspiring to destroy national defense materials, a crime that carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison.

Speaking before U.S. District Judge Kevin Thomas Duffy on Friday, Mohamed Suleiman Nalfi said he worked for Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda network in his native Sudan in the early 1990s.

He also said that he created a jihad (holy war) group in Sudan in 1989 and helped to build businesses there that backed al Qaeda. The government has said that al Qaeda used these businesses as fronts to procure explosives, chemicals and weapons.

In 1990, Nalfi and others traveled from Sudan to Egypt in a caravan of camels to "establish a route to be used by al Qaeda . . . to move weapons without detection," he said.

In addition, Nalfi told the judge that he attended a meeting in 1992 in which al Qaeda officials spoke about ways of forcibly ousting U.S. and U.N. forces from Somalia and Saudi Arabia.

One of the last remaining al Qaeda operatives being held in Manhattan on criminal charges, Nalfi, 40, was originally arrested in 2000 in a terrorism conspiracy case that included the 1998 bombings of two U.S. embassies in East Africa.

Had he been convicted of charges related to that case, he could have faced a life sentence. There was no indication as to why the government agreed to the lesser charge. Prosecutors declined to comment.

24 More Boston Priests Face

Child Sex Abuse Allegations

BOSTON -- Archdiocese officials turned over to lawyers files showing that 24 more priests have been accused of abusing children. They turned over the records Friday after attorneys found allegations of child sex abuse among the files on 41 priests who, the archdiocese originally said, had been accused of sexual misconduct with adults.

Twenty-four of the 41 were found to have child abuse allegations against them, and in two other cases, the records were in conflict over whether the allegations had involved child abuse.

* SAGINAW, Mich. -- The medical examiner listed homicide as the cause of death of Toughman contestant Scott Wood, 31, of San Antonio, who died Jan. 24 after winning his bout at Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort in Mount Pleasant. Toughman, a form of boxing in which contestants compete for small cash prizes, has been linked to at least nine deaths since 1979. Isabella County prosecutor Larry Burdick said he had no plans to pursue a murder case because Wood's death was equivalent to a slaying committed in self-defense.

* COVINGTON, Ky. -- A former deputy jailer pleaded guilty to assaulting an inmate who died of his injuries nearly a month later. Robert Raymond Price, 36, admitted in court Friday that he beat inmate Chad Boggess of Charleston with a baton on March 17, 2002. Boggess died on April 11. Price could be sentenced to up to 61/2 years in prison.

-- From news services