Some of the week's major developments:

* President Bush, in an address to the nation Monday, disclosed few new details about the limited political handover to Iraqis scheduled for June 30. He repackaged the U.S. policy as a five-step plan: "We will hand over authority to a sovereign Iraqi government, help establish security, continue rebuilding Iraq's infrastructure, encourage more international support, and move toward a national election that will bring forward new leaders empowered by the Iraqi people." (Further details of the speech on Page A3.)

* The United States and Britain presented the U.N. Security Council with a draft resolution that would transfer authority in Iraq to a "sovereign interim government" on June 30 but ensure that U.S. military forces maintained control over the country for at least a year.

But France, Germany, Russia and China insisted that Iraq's new interim leaders be allowed to participate in Security Council deliberations on the political transition, which would probably delay plans to have a test vote on the resolution early this week.

* Iraqi leaders and radical cleric Moqtada Sadr agreed Thursday on a deal to end fighting in the south. Sadr was supposed to pull his forces off the streets of Kufa and the nearby city of Najaf and withdraw fighters not resident in those cities. In return, U.S. demands that he disband his Mahdi Army militia and surrender on charges of murdering a moderate Shiite cleric last year were put on hold. A day earlier, U.S. troops arrested a key aide to Sadr.

U.S. troops and Shiite Muslim guerrillas fought Friday morning in Kufa, but American officials said the combat did not qualify as a significant breach of a day-old cease-fire with forces loyal to Sadr.

* Britain announced it will send 370 more troops to Iraq, raising to 8,900 its total deployment in the country. Defense Secretary Geoff Hoon said British firepower would be increased substantially because the reinforcements would replace light infantry with heavier battalions.

* Bush will appoint a new, higher-ranking military commander for Iraq, in a revision of the military structure that will replace Army Lt. Gen. Ricardo S. Sanchez as the top general on the ground there. Pentagon sources said that although Sanchez has been caught up in the scandal over the abuse of Iraqi detainees, the move to install a four-star commander was in the works before the abuses at the Abu Ghraib prison became known.

* Maj. Gen Geoffrey D. Miller, deputy commander of U.S. military detainee operations in Iraq, said the U.S. military plans to hand over operation of Abu Ghraib to Iraqi security forces by August and transfer the remaining detainees 300 miles to the southeast at a camp in the port city of Um Qasr.