BBC Cameraman Killed

By Gunmen in Riyadh

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia -- Gunmen fired at a two-man BBC crew as they filmed in the Saudi capital of Riyadh on Sunday, killing the Irish cameraman and wounding the British journalist.

The BBC identified the dead man as Simon Cumbers, 36, and the injured man as BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner, 42, and said Gardner was being treated in a Riyadh hospital.

It was the fourth deadly attack on Westerners in the kingdom, the world's biggest oil exporter, in five weeks.

A Western diplomat said the two men were in a car with a Saudi driver in the Suweidi district, filming the house of an al Qaeda militant killed last year in a security crackdown, when they came under fire. The neighborhood has been the scene of several shootouts between security forces and suspected militants.

Saudi television pictures from the scene showed a man, alive but bloodied, lying in the middle of the road before being helped into a vehicle by Saudi security.

British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw condemned the attack and pledged that Britain "will continue to do all we can to support the Saudi authorities in their fight against terrorism."

The attack came a week after al Qaeda militants killed 22 people, 19 of them foreigners, in a shooting and hostage-taking spree in the eastern Saudi oil city of Khobar. The assault helped push world oil prices to record highs before producers pledged to raise output.

Earlier Sunday, in Jiddah, Foreign Minister Saud Faisal told a news conference that terror attacks in the kingdom will not force the government to give up the fight against "this oppressive group that is isolated legally [and] socially."

Africa

* BUKAVU, Congo -- A renegade commander pulled his remaining troops out of this strategic city in eastern Congo, four days after setting off a crisis in the volatile region by seizing Bukavu.

But violence continued as assailants ambushed a U.N. convoy in a separate incident in North Kivu province, about 75 miles north of Bukavu, killing two South African peacekeepers and wounding nine others, a U.N. official said.

Rwanda closed its border with Congo because of accusations by Congo's government that Rwanda supported the uprising in Bukavu, Rwandan Foreign Minister Charles Muligande said.

The charges are a "serious provocation," the Rwandan government said, accusing Congo of preparing to wage war against Rwanda with the help of Rwandan rebels based in Congo.

* KHARTOUM, Sudan -- A rebel group in western Sudan's embattled Darfur region released 16 international aid workers, U.N. officials said.

The U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said the 16 appeared to be in good health. A statement said they were detained Thursday while preparing to deliver aid.

The acting governor for Sudan's North Darfur state, el-Nur Mohamed Ibrahim, said all 16 were released unharmed. He did not say how or precisely when the aid workers were released.

Asia

* QUETTA, Pakistan -- About 25 foreign aid workers took shelter in a hotel in this southwestern Pakistani city after authorities warned them that Taliban rebels were planning suicide attacks against their offices, officials said.

A Pakistani government agency responsible for security at refugee camps in southwestern Baluchistan province alerted the U.N. refugee agency and five other nongovernmental organizations on Saturday to the suspected threat that targeted aid groups with American and British employees.

-- From News Services