Tropical Storm Gaston sloshed ashore in South Carolina on Sunday with near hurricane-force winds, spinning sheets of rain that flooded roads as the storm knocked out power to thousands of people.

Gaston made landfall near McClellanville, a small fishing village that was brushed by Hurricane Charley earlier this month when it came ashore for a second time after devastating southwest Florida.

Gov. Mark Sanford (R) declared a state of emergency and encouraged residents to stay in their homes so damage-assessment crews and utility and cleanup workers could do their work.

Parts of Charleston County had 10 inches of rain, and a flash-flood watch was in effect along parts of the coast. Hundreds of residents were urged to evacuate ahead of the storm.

Hours after the eye of Gaston came ashore, steady sheets of rain drenched Mount Pleasant. Tree limbs littered flooded roadways, some of which were impassable. Palmettos were pushed to the pavement, and road signs twisted in the wind.

Across the harbor in Charleston, Gaston flooded streets and toppled power poles. At least 125,000 people were without power at the height of the storm.

The rain tapered off along the coast by midday, but blustery wind still raked the coastline near Charleston, and intersections throughout the area had no traffic lights.

By evening, Gaston was moving north about 8 mph across inland South Carolina, weakening along the way but still packing wind gusts as fast as 82 mph.

Charleston County officials said there was only one initial report of a serious injury -- a resident hurt when a tree fell on a house.

Residents in low-lying areas in Charleston and Georgetown counties were urged to move to higher ground before the storm hit. Authorities also asked people living in mobile homes to evacuate.

John Legare of the state emergency management agency said about 30 people had sought refuge in five shelters in coastal counties as Gaston approached. Shelters were opened in at least one inland county.

Gaston had maximum sustained winds of 70 mph when it hit land but was down to 45 mph by early afternoon. Forecasters said the weakened storm could reach North Carolina by Sunday night.

By mid-afternoon, bands of rain had reached North Carolina. No flooding was reported, but strong winds tore the roof from a house in Laurinburg, officials said.

In South Carolina, Legare said, the storm had picked up speed, which could mean less flooding.

"The faster it moves, the less chance it has to rain," he said. "But until it has passed through, I don't think we can say flooding is not a concern."

In Charleston, water stood in the street in front of the palatial homes on the city's waterfront. Debbie Rice-Marko was cleaning tree limbs and other debris from the front of her 250-year-old house, which had knee-deep water in the basement.

"We didn't see anything like this with Charley," she said, noting residents have had to deal with Bonnie, Charley and Gaston already this year. And they are now eyeing Hurricane Frances spinning in the Atlantic Ocean.

Frances had sustained winds of 135 mph about 495 miles east of the Leeward Islands in the southeastern Caribbean. Hugh Cobb, a meteorologist at the National Hurricane Center in Miami, said the storm was traveling over warm water, which could help it intensify.

Forecasters said people from Cuba to the southeastern United States should closely monitor the progress of the storm, which could threaten land by Labor Day weekend.

Meanwhile, Tropical Storm Hermine formed in the Atlantic, the eighth named storm of the season. The center of Hermine was about 325 miles southeast of Cape Hatteras, N.C. The storm was moving toward the northwest near 10 mph and maximum sustained winds were near 40 mph.

Rick Beard and his son, Adam, stopped their car to get a better look at a pecan tree that fell onto three cars and a house in Lake City, S.C.Sassy, a teacup Yorkshire terrier, waits in the wind and rain in Garden City Beach, S.C., for owner Debbie Jay to return.Willie Hood of the North Charleston Fire Department heads back to his truck after cutting limbs from a fallen tree.