Court-Martial Proceedings

For Two in Abu Ghraib Assault

SAN DIEGO -- Two Navy SEALs accused of assaulting a detainee who died at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq will face court-martial proceedings, the Navy said Wednesday.

The two commandos from a Coronado-based Sea, Air, Land unit known as SEAL Team-7 also are accused of posing in photographs taken while the detainee was subjected to degrading treatment, according to court documents.

Neither of the two SEALs is charged with killing the prisoner.

Article 32 hearings, the military equivalent of a civilian grand jury, are set for Thursday and Friday at Naval Base San Diego. The charges against the two enlisted SEALs include aggravated assault, maltreatment, dereliction of duty and disobeying orders.

The Navy withheld the names of the two and identified them only as an aviation boatswain's mate and a hospital corpsman first class.

The boatswain's mate is accused of punching Manadel Jamadi, a suspect in an attack on a Red Cross facility, in the stomach and back, and encouraging another sailor to join in.

The next day, Nov. 4, Jamadi was found dead in a shower at the Abu Ghraib prison near Baghdad.

Panel in Boston to Probe

Death of Fan After Ballgame

BOSTON -- An independent panel headed by a former federal prosecutor will investigate the death of a woman who was shot by police using pellet guns to subdue a crowd of rowdy baseball fans.

Police Commissioner Kathleen M. O'Toole announced the probe Tuesday as allegations arose that that some of the officers who fired the guns were not trained in their use. Former U.S. attorney Donald K. Stern, who prosecuted mob cases, will head the investigation.

Victoria Snelgrove, a junior at Emerson College, was killed last week when she was hit in the eye by a pepper gas pellet during a raucous street celebration that began after the Red Sox won the American League pennant.

The Boston Globe reported Wednesday that two of the officers who fired pepper balls into the crowd were not trained to use the weapons.

* REDWOOD CITY, Calif. -- Jurors in the Scott Peterson murder trial were sent home with orders to return Monday for closing arguments after prosecutors and defense attorneys decided against calling additional witnesses. Prosecutors had said they planned to call eight witnesses after Peterson's lawyers ended their case Tuesday. But when jurors returned Wednesday, Judge Alfred A. Delucchi said both sides had decided against having additional testimony in the five-month-long case.

* PINE BUSH, N.Y. -- A teenage Civil War reenactor was suspended from school for 21 days after a security guard saw a replica musket in his car. Joshua Phelps, 17, was arrested Oct. 12 and charged with weapons possession, punishable by a maximum of one year in jail. School officials also found a bayonet, rolled cartridges with black powder and a Union soldier's uniform in his car.

* DALLAS -- Judge Faith Johnson, who welcomed a former fugitive back to her courtroom with balloons, streamers and a cake defended her actions, saying that getting a killer and abuser of women off the streets is reason to celebrate. Johnson threw the party Monday upon sentencing 53-year-old Billy Wayne Williams to life in prison.

* LONG BEACH, N.Y. -- What are the odds of scoring a perfect 1,600 on the SAT? Now think of the odds when twin brothers both score 1,600. It happened on Long Island. Dillon and Jesse Smith each aced the English and math tests.

-- From News Services