The families of Japanese kidnapped decades ago by North Korean agents lashed out at the secretive communist state on Monday, saying it had lied about the fate of their loved ones.
Japanese officials had returned earlier in the day from talks with their North Korean counterparts in Pyongyang on the fate of 10 missing abductees, an issue that is a major stumbling block in normalizing relations between the two nations.
Hopes were raised when the talks, set to end Friday, were extended through the weekend and when the delegation brought back documents and personal belongings related to the abductees.
But family members said there was no new information, and news reports said nothing appeared to contradict North Korea's claim that eight of the 10 had died or never entered North Korea.
Takuya Yokota said he refused to believe his sister Megumi, snatched in 1977 at age 13, was dead. Pyongyang says she committed suicide, and the delegation brought back bones for DNA testing. "The information given to us by North Korea is insincere, full of mistakes, and has deceived the Japanese people," Yokota said.
Some Japanese politicians had called for Japan to impose sanctions on North Korea if no progress was made in the talks.