Funeral Is Held for

Firefighter Killed 9/11

NEW YORK -- A 30-year-old firefighter who rushed to the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001, was memorialized Saturday at a Manhattan church in one of the last funerals for the 343 firefighters killed that day.

Hundreds of uniformed firefighters watched as an engine draped in black and purple bunting carried Keithroy M. Maynard's remains to the Church of the Master. A pipe and drum corps played "Amazing Grace."

Like other relatives of Sept. 11 victims, Maynard's family held a memorial service two months after the attacks, but years more passed before his family felt that enough of his remains had been identified to hold a formal funeral, officials said. The funeral was the first since 2003 for a firefighter killed at the World Trade Center.

* FORT RILEY, Kan. -- Army Sgt. Aaron Stanley, 23, will serve life in prison with no chance of parole for shooting two fellow soldiers to death last year at his farmhouse, a military jury decided. Stanley was convicted Friday of killing Staff Sgt. Matthew Werner, 30, of Oxnard, Calif., and Spec. Christopher D. Hymer, 23, of Nevada, Mo., in September.

* BOSTON -- Parents angry that the archdiocese locked their children out of school before graduation ceremonies camped out in a city square across from the school in protest. About 50 people stayed in the 10 tents set up Friday night across from Our Lady of Presentation School. The Boston archdiocese closed the school Wednesday, two days ahead of schedule, after hearing reports that protesters intended to begin an occupation of the building as early as Thursday. Similar sit-ins have prevented the archdiocese from closing several churches.

* COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- Laque Ivy, 22, and Matthew Mack, 42, were arrested and accused of taking credit card checks mailed to the home of Colorado Attorney General John Suthers. "Everyone has to be careful," said Colorado Springs police spokesman Lt. Rafael Cintron. "Even the attorney general can be a victim of identity theft."

* CORPUS CHRISTI, Tex. -- A 13-year-old cancer patient will get the radiation treatment her parents had opposed after new medical tests showed she is no longer in remission. Katie Wernecke's parents decided to drop their objection to the treatment after the tests were disclosed during a juvenile court hearing Friday. Katie, who turned 13 on Saturday, will remain in state custody during therapy. Michele and Edward Wernecke lost custody of Katie last week after doctors said lack of treatment could be life-threatening.

-- From News Services