A U.S. helicopter gunship crashed northwest of Baghdad on Monday, killing both members of its crew, the U.S. military said in a statement.

The AH-64 Apache went down about 11 a.m. northwest of Taji, a town about 10 miles northwest of the capital. The military did not give a cause for the crash and said the incident was under investigation.

Since May 1, 2003, 36 U.S. military helicopters have been shot down over Iraq. The last one was downed in January.

In other developments, a day before the first anniversary of the turning over of sovereignty to an interim Iraqi government, a car bomb exploded between a movie house and Sunni Arab mosque in eastern Baghdad on Monday, killing at least four people and wounding 16, the Associated Press reported. The attacks took place in the commercial district known as New Baghdad, which is packed with small shops and markets selling a broad assortment of goods. It is usually crowded with shoppers in the hours before curfew.

Also in Baghdad, a soldier in a U.S. Army unit assisting Iraqi police with a vehicle fire was shot and fatally wounded Monday morning, the military announced. A brief military statement said the soldier died from wounds sustained during a small-arms attack in central Baghdad around 10:15 a.m.

Earlier, two Iraqis were killed when a roadside bomb exploded near a police patrol in the Azamiyah neighborhood in northern Baghdad, the Associated Press reported.

The blast followed apparently coordinated attacks Sunday by three suicide bombers in the northern city of Mosul. At least 33 people were reported killed when the bombers struck a police headquarters, an army base and a hospital.

A posting on an Internet site in the name of al Qaeda in Iraq, a group led by Abu Musab Zarqawi, a Jordanian, asserted responsibility for the Mosul attacks. The claim could not immediately be verified.

A Marine spokesman said Monday that three female GIs were killed last week in the ambush of a convoy in Fallujah. The death toll from Thursday's attack was raised to six after the military identified the remains of a female Marine and a female sailor, Maj. Sean Gibson said. In all, five Marines -- two of them women -- and a female sailor were killed. In addition, 13 GIs , 11 of them women, were wounded, making it the largest single attack on American women in Iraq.

In London, British Prime Minister Tony Blair said that British, U.S. and Iraqi officials had been engaged in talks with Iraqi groups that support the insurgency in an effort to bring them into the political process, the Reuters news agency reported. Blair spoke a day after U.S. and Iraqi officials said they were talking to tribal leaders, clerics and some groups linked to the Sunni Arab insurgency.

Blair said, however, that there was no contact with extremists such as Zarqawi.

"We have been engaged perfectly properly in trying to pull away some parts of the insurgency and lock them into the political process," Blair said at a news conference hours before meeting with Iraq's prime minister, Ibrahim Jafari. He suggested that the interlocutors included people sympathetic to the insurgent violence but not engaged and others "who may be involved in parts of the violence or not."

"It's our job politically to pull as many people into the political process, so that is an engagement not just by the Iraqi government, but by the Americans, ourselves, everybody," Blair said.

Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld acknowledged Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press" that U.S. officials had met with insurgents in Iraq.

Staff writer William Branigin in Washington contributed to this report.

Iraqis walk through commercial area of Baghdad where car bomb killed 4.