Turkish police increased security at tourist resorts Sunday as investigators sifted through the wreckage of a minibus ripped apart a day earlier by a bomb that killed five people.

In the normally bustling Aegean resort of Kusadasi, the site of the blast Saturday, residents and tourists appeared uneasy and streets were quieter than usual after the second attack to hit the area in a week at the height of the tourism season.

Shopkeepers hung Turkish flags and minibus drivers tied black ribbons to their vehicles to protest the attack. A black wreath was laid at the site of the blast.

"Everyone is scared. Nobody wants to go out on to the street," said Ipek Onturkler, 26, a nurse on vacation there.

The Hurriyet newspaper said a group called the Kurdistan Liberation Hawks asserted responsibility for the bombing, but the claim could not be confirmed. The group has said it was behind a series of recent bombings, including an attack that injured about 20 people in Cesme, another town on the Aegean coast, on July 10.

Three Turks, a British woman and an Irish woman were killed in Saturday's blast, which tore the roof off the minibus as it traveled through the town on the way to a beach. Two of the Turks were planning to get married, according to media reports. They were buried in separate ceremonies in Izmir on Sunday.

At least 13 people were injured, including five Britons.

The provincial governor, Mustafa Malay, told the state-run Anatolian News Agency that the explosives were hidden in a small bag under one of the seats and were detonated by remote control or a timer, not by a suicide bomber as some reports initially indicated.

Malay said that C-4 plastic explosives were probably used and that no suspects had been detained in connection with the attack.

Kusadasi, 45 miles from the Aegean port of Izmir, is popular with foreign tourists. Turkey is a favorite destination for Britons, with 1.5 million traveling there each year.

Police said they were investigating whether the attack was linked to the July 10 bombing. The Kurdistan Liberation Hawks had said it carried out that bombing and threatened to step up attacks on tourism centers.

The British ambassador, Peter Westmacott, said, however, that authorities believed the Kurdistan Workers Party, or PKK, had planted the bomb. The guerrilla group condemned the attack and denied any involvement.

The PKK launched an armed rebellion in 1984 to win a homeland in southeastern Turkey. More than 30,000 people have been killed in the conflict.

Flowers and flags mark the site of a minibus bombing in the Aegean resort town of Kusadasi, a favorite destination for Britons. A Turkish newspaper said a Kurdish group had asserted responsibility for the attack.