Police discovered the remains of a missing pregnant woman and arrested the father of her unborn child Saturday, ending a month-long search.

District Attorney Lynne M. Abraham said Stephen Poaches would be charged with two counts of murder and related offenses for the deaths of LaToyia Figueroa, 24, and her fetus.

Authorities did not provide a motive or say what led them to suspect Poaches, 25, who police said was wearing a bulletproof vest and carrying a pistol when he was arrested.

The remains were recovered in a grassy, partially wooded lot in Chester, 13 miles from Philadelphia. A few dozen members of the Figueroa family and supporters arrived at the scene shortly after daybreak, clustering close to the police tape and embracing each other.

"Now she can rest in peace," said the woman's father, Melvin Figueroa. "All I want is justice with that peace."

Relatives and friends had papered the city with fliers and held large-scale searches for any sign of Figueroa, and a reward fund had grown to $100,000, including donations from the restaurant where she worked.

The case attracted a brief flurry of television attention after several Philadelphia-area bloggers waged a campaign urging networks to give the same attention to Figueroa, who is black and Hispanic, as they did to Natalee Holloway, a white woman who disappeared in Aruba.

Poaches's lawyer, Michael Coard, has told reporters that Poaches had spoken to investigators voluntarily and had consented to have his home and vehicle searched.

Police Commissioner Sylvester M. Johnson said Saturday that Coard's public relations moves would not hold up.

"He has an attorney who has basically tried this case in the news media and has depicted him to be innocent. We are saying today that he is not innocent, and we are going to convict him," Johnson said.

Coard did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment after Saturday's news conference.

Figueroa, who also was the mother of a 7-year-old girl, was last seen alive on July 18.

LaToyia Figueroa was last seen alive on July 18.