Homeland Security Probes
Leak of Subway Threat
NEW YORK -- The Department of Homeland Security is investigating whether department officials privately tipped off relatives or friends about last week's subway terrorism threat before the public was given the news, officials said Thursday.
The probe was announced as Gov. George E. Pataki (R) and Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly raised concerns about the possible leak, reported in the Daily News.
The newspaper reported that police had obtained copies of personal e-mails that alluded to an alleged al Qaeda plot, and had forwarded them to federal officials.
A Department of Homeland Security spokesman in Washington, Russ Knocke, said an internal investigation was underway.
When FBI and police officials went public with the threat Oct. 6, the department played it down. After four days, local officials said Monday there was no evidence an attack would be carried out and scaled back the protection.
Woman Charged With
Attacking Pregnant Neighbor
PITTSBURGH -- A Pennsylvania woman was charged with beating her pregnant neighbor with a baseball bat and slashing her lower abdomen with a razor in an attempt to steal the fetus.
Police said Peggy Jo Conner, 38, attacked Valerie Oskin in Oskin's trailer early Wednesday. Conner then drove Oskin, who was eight months pregnant, 15 miles to a remote area and tried to cut through a C-section scar on her abdomen with a razor blade, police said. Oskin has a 7-year-old son.
Oskin, 30, was found by a passerby and taken to a Pittsburgh hospital, where she delivered a healthy boy by Caesarean section, authorities said. She remained hospitalized in critical condition.
* DENVER -- Kaiser-Hill Co., the contractor hired to clean up the former Rocky Flats nuclear weapons plant, declared the $7 billion, 10-year project completed, a major milestone in the conversion of the site to a wildlife refuge.
* TRENTON, N.J. -- A seventh straight day of rain across much of the soggy Northeast trapped motorists in their cars, delayed airline flights and sent streams surging over their banks.
* MIAMI -- A 6-year-old Cuban boy died after the speedboat he was being smuggled on capsized as the U.S. Coast Guard tried to intercept it, trapping him underneath, authorities said. The other 30 people in the boat were rescued.
* NEW ORLEANS -- After the longest break in its 153-year history, Cafe Du Monde will once again fill New Orleans's Jackson Square with the smell of beignets and rich, chicory-laced coffee. The French Quarter landmark known to tourists the world over for fried dollops of dough dusted with powdered sugar is to reopen next week, six weeks after being shut down by Hurricane Katrina.
-- From News Services