A U.S. Army Reservist and power-generator mechanic from Randallstown, Md., was killed last week in an explosion near Tikrit, Iraq.

Kendall K. Frederick, 21, a specialist with the 983rd Engineer Battalion based in Monclova, Ohio, was traveling in a convoy near Tikrit on Wednesday when an improvised explosive device detonated near his vehicle, according to the Defense Department, which announced his death Friday.

"He was a victim of an IED attack on his convoy," said Lt. Col. Carl Ey, an Army spokesman. "He passed away at 6:15 p.m. [Iraq] time in Tikrit."

Ey said the Army offered its "sincerest condolences" to Frederick's family.

Maj. Greg Yesko, a spokesman for the 99th Regional Readiness Command, which includes Maryland, said Frederick was traveling in the last truck in the convoy when the explosion occurred.

Frederick served with a battalion that specializes in heavy construction, including roads and other infrastructure, Yesko said. In Iraq, such work requires a portable electricity source and such mechanics as Frederick to keep things going.

"They operate and maintain generators," Yesko said. "When you're doing construction, you need mobile power."

Yesko said Frederick's mother, who lives in Randallstown, said the family did not want to be interviewed yesterday. He said the family would probably release a statement and other information about Frederick today.

It was the latest in a deadly series of incidents in Iraq in recent days involving soldiers from Maryland, and it added to the mounting U.S. death toll in the conflict. Nearly 2,000 members of the U.S. military have died in Iraq.

On Oct. 14, three Maryland National Guard soldiers who were members of the 243rd Engineer Co. were killed after a tractor-trailer accidentally hit their ammunition-loaded Humvee, sparking a fire and explosion.

Spec. Bernard L. Ceo, 23, and Sgt. Brian R. Conner, 36, both of Baltimore, and Spec. Samuel M. Boswell, 20, of Fulton were the first Maryland National Guard soldiers killed overseas in the line of duty since World War II.

On Wednesday, Lance Cpl. Norman W. Anderson III, of Parkton, Md., was killed by a suicide bomber while he was on patrol in Karabilah, according to the Defense Department. Anderson was a newlywed and former running back at Hereford High School.

Staff researcher Magda Jean-Louis contributed to this report.