Hunter Who Killed Six
Is Sentenced to Life
HAYWARD, Wis. -- A Hmong immigrant convicted of murdering six deer hunters and attempting to kill two others last year after a trespassing dispute was sentenced to life in prison Tuesday with no chance for parole.
Judge Norman Yackel ordered Chai Soua Vang, 37, to serve six life prison terms, one after the other, guaranteeing he would never be freed. Wisconsin does not have a death penalty.
Yackel described Vang as a "time bomb ready to go off" at the slightest provocation. "These crimes are not isolated acts, but a pattern of anti-social conduct," the judge said.
Robert and Joey Crotteau, Denny Drew, Allan Laski, Jessica Willers and Mark Roidt were killed.
* NEWARK -- American Airlines could be fined as much as $25,000 because Danis Ballard, 29, of Irvington, N.J., boarded a flight to Miami without a ticket or a boarding pass, authorities said. After the flight crew counted passengers, he was removed and charged with criminal trespass.
* NEW YORK -- Larry Ricci, an alleged capo in the Genovese crime family who disappeared in the middle of his waterfront corruption trial, was acquitted in absentia along with two officials of the dockworkers union. Ricci had been charged with trying to steer a union health care contract to a mob-linked company.
* CHATTANOOGA -- Six football players at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga -- Muhammad Ahmad Abdus-Salaam, Lironnie Davis, DeJuan Payne, Cori Stukes, Terrence Thomas and Larry White -- were charged with raping a drunken student after a party last month, a university spokesman said.
* ALBUQUERQUE -- Former New Mexico state treasurer Michael Montoya, 53, pleaded guilty to accepting a $278,500 kickback from an investment adviser. He is cooperating in the case against his successor, Robert Vigil, who is also accused of demanding kickbacks.
* SULTAN, Wash. -- Benjamin A. Wright, who was walking home after his 55th-birthday party because friends and family believed he was too drunk to drive, was struck and killed by a car Sunday, police said.
-- From News Services