Prosecutors Say Girl Left

Willingly With Boyfriend

LANCASTER, Pa. -- A 14-year-old girl whose 18-year-old boyfriend is accused of killing her parents left with him willingly after the slayings, prosecutors said in court papers filed Monday.

David Ludwig told detectives that Kara Beth Borden ran from her home and into his car after he shot her parents Nov. 13, and Borden said she went with him of her own free will, according to documents filed by Lancaster County prosecutors. They said kidnapping charges against Ludwig would be dropped.

Ludwig confessed to the killings, saying he shot Borden's parents after her father told Ludwig to stop seeing her, according to the filing. Ludwig said he shot Michael Borden in the back as he was going down the hall to the front door and then headed toward Cathryn Borden.

"I shot Mom as she was sitting in the chair," Ludwig was quoted as saying. "It was an intentional murder. I intended to shoot them, and I did."

Ludwig told detectives that after the killings, he could not find Kara Beth Borden. He said he started to drive away and saw her running down the road toward him. She got in the car and said she wanted to "get as far away as possible, get married and start a new life," he said.

District Attorney Donald Totaro said the kidnapping charge against Ludwig, of Lititz, Pa., will be dropped at his preliminary hearing next month.

Robert Beyer, an attorney for Kara Beth Borden, said he was not upset by that news.

Investigators have said that they are treating the girl as a crime victim but that the investigation is continuing.

* PORTLAND, Ore. -- A Nike Inc. corporate jet carrying chief executive William Perez, company officials Charlie Denson and Mary Kate Buckley, and four others landed safely at an Oregon airport after circling the Portland area for several hours with the landing gear from its right wing stuck in its bay. The twin-engine Gulfstream V jet landed safely at the regional Hillsboro Airport near Nike headquarters in Beaverton, Ore., Nike said. The plane had been en route to Toronto.

* PHOENIX -- The former vicar general of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Phoenix was arrested on charges that he fondled seven boys and young men and asked them questions about sex that he misrepresented as being part of confession. Monsignor Dale Fushek, 53, becomes one of the highest-ranking priests to be charged in the sex scandal that has engulfed the church. Prosecutors said Fushek committed the acts between 1984 and 1994 at St. Timothy's Catholic Church in Mesa, Ariz., or on church property. Fushek resigned as pastor of the church in April.

* TACOMA, Wash. -- A man accused in a shooting spree at a crowded shopping mall sent a text message to his ex-girlfriend minutes before the rampage, saying, "Today is the day the world will know my anger," the woman said. Tiffany Robison told ABC's "Good Morning America" that Dominick Sergio Maldonado sent the message shortly before noon Sunday. Maldonado, 20, opened fire with an assault rifle at the Tacoma Mall and took three people hostage in a music store, authorities said. Six people were hurt, one critically. Bret Strickler, who said he was Maldonado's best friend, told the Seattle Times he received a similar text message while Maldonado was allegedly holding the hostages.

* ATLANTA -- Melvin Walker and David Ramsey, who were convicted in August of conspiracy to commit murder for hire, were sentenced to life in federal prison. They had been acquitted in a state trial in March 2002. Sheriff-elect Derwin Brown was shot at least a dozen times in front of his home on Dec. 15, 2000, just days before he was to have succeeded DeKalb County Sheriff Sidney Dorsey, whom he had defeated in that year's election. Suspicions immediately turned to Dorsey, who was convicted of plotting the murder in a separate trial and is serving a life prison sentence.

-- From News Services