The historic Pension Building at 4th and G streets NW will soon have a tenant whose business it is to preserve the country's historic and natural resources.
The new Heritage Conservation and Recreation Service of the Department of the Interior is scheduled to begin moving into the building next Thursday.
The last tenant, D.C. Superior Court, is moving to a new courthouse at 6th Street and Indiana Avenue NW.
The Heritage Conservation and Recreation Service was organized in March to administer President Carter's National Heritage Program. The agency was created from the merger of the Office of Archaeology and Historic Preservation that includes the National Register of Historic Places, the Bureau of Outdoor Recreation, and the Natural Landmarks Program.
Headed by Chris Delaport, the former director of the Bureau of Outdoor Recreation, the Services will be responsible for identifying and classifying natural historic, and culture resources and designing programs for their preservation. Now located in two sites, the agency's 400 employees will have completed the move by mid-June.
The Committee for a National Museum of the Building Arts has proposed that the red brick building be used to house that museum. The Committee has had legislation introduced in Congress to support a foundation to establish the museum. The General Services Administration, owner of the building, has agreed to turn the building over to the museum if the legislation is approved.
The building's first tenant in 1885 was the Pension Bureau, the agency that proceeded the pensions of American soldiers and their dependents.