IN THE BUSINESS . . . The Northern Virginia Builders Association, in conjunction with the Suburban Maryland and D.C. Builders Associations this week presented the annual Major Achievements in Marketing Excellence awards. The winners were:
* Best Targeted Interior Design: "McLean Estates"; William L. Berry & Co., Sherman Associates.
* Best Brochure: Scarborough Corp. collection of corporate brochures; the Earle Palmer Brown Agency.
* Best Continuing Campaign by a Builder, Community or Development: "Reston"; Reston Land Corp.; Siddall, Matus & Coughter Inc. Public Relations.
* Best Black and White Ad Under One-Half Page: "Dorsey Hall"; Winchester Homes; Zeinog & Associates.
* Best Black and White Ad One-Half Page or More: "Sutton Towers"; Lawrence N. Brandt; the Bomstein Agency.
* Best Targeted Sales Office Display: "River Place"; Monument Associates; the Childs-Dreyfuss Group.
* Best Radio Commercial: Ryan Homes, Inc.; Govatos-Dunn Advertising.
* Best Color Ad: "Reston"; Reston Land Corp.; Siddall, Matus & Coughter Inc. Public Relations.
* Best Creative Marketing Promotion: "Amberleigh," "Woodwalk" and "Greens of Warther"; Miller & Smith; Govatos-Dunn Advertising.
In addition, more than 350 salespeople were honored, based on sales. The top six were Robert Coursey of Ryan Homes with $14 million, and Valerie P. Bradshaw and Eddie Wockenfuss of Long & Foster, David J. Dombert and James T. McDermott of Ryan Homes, and Sherry Wheale of the Ryland Group, all with $11 million each.
The "Sales Person of the Year" was Tom Stewart of Northern Virginia Homes, Inc., and the "Rookie of the Year" was Patricia A. Merton of of Winchester Homes, Inc. . . . Pulte Home Corp. has opened a new Silver Spring subdivision called Rolling Acres. The project consists of three-bedroom, 1 1/2-bath townhouses, priced in the $70,000 range . . . And in Frederick, Crestwood Village, Inc., has opened its 1,000-home Mountain Village project for sale. Mountain Village will consist of two-level town houses and one-level condominiums at prices from $39,990 to $53,990, ready for occupancy this fall. For the buyer looking to keep costs down, the developers will offer some town houses with the second floor unfinished . . . Reston Land Corp. reports a 182 percent increase in residential sales for the first quarter of this year, compared to the first three months of 1982. The company sold 217 homes for a total of about $21 million . . . Northern Virginia brokers who put up signs where they shouldn't had better watch out. Fairfax County has told the Northern Virginia Board of Realtors it's thinking of hiring a full-time CETA worker to go around to confiscate illegally posted signs . . . The Northern Virginia Builders Association will hold a seminar of "Trends in the '80s" Tuesday evening at the Tysons Westpark Hotel. For information, call Brad Crockett at 893-6800.
PERSONNEL FILE . . . The Northern Virginia Apartment Association has appointed Michael E. Nail its executive director. He comes to the association from the Montgomery County Housing Opportunities Commission, where he was chief of housing resources . . . Jon W. Linfield has been named executive vice president of the National Housing Conference, Inc. . . . Coldwell Banker Routh Robbins-Realtors announces the appointment of Jim and Bette June Ingham as resident manager and sales manager, respectively, of the firm's Washington office . . . David I. Brown Jr. has joined Danac Associates as coordinator of market research activities . . . Jerome P. Dykstra has joined the Fred Ezra Co., where he will specialize in commercial leasing and sales in Maryland . . . John C. Donnelly, vice president of J. Lee Donnelly & Sons, Inc., has been awarded the MAI (Member, Appraisal Insitute) designation by the American Institute of Real Estate Appraisers.
MOVING ON . . . The Headquarters Cos., an executive office services firm, has leased 28,500 square feet at Washington Square, 1050 Connecticut Ave. NW, for 10 years. Cushman & Wakefield represented the lessee . . . The Council of State Chambers of Commerce has let 3,345 square feet at 122 C St. NW for its offices, currently on South Capitol Street. Spaulding & Slye represented the council and Walker & Dunlop the landlord . . . California Institute of Technology has leased 18,000 square feet from the Planning Research Corp. at 1500 Planning Research Drive in Reston. Coldwell Banker was the broker